Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki inauguration

Pages: 1 3 replies

Because of the president's Hawaiaan roots, there was at least one cocktail venue in D.C. which hosted for Inauguration Day a special Luau and cocktail menu. I decided to present these photos, in a non-partisan frame of mind. D.C. doesn't have a formal tiki bar, so it was good to see this tiki event raise its head this week.

The Jack Rose is a fairly new place, just under 2 years old, which has a very good cocktail menu that I visit often. I was pleased that they decided to reach into the tiki spirit for the evening.

Here is the promo poster for the event

A portion of the menu for the evening - perhaps the first time I've seen 'inauguration' and 'tiki cocktails' so close together

A pair of mai-tais - very good

Also serving roast pig - so good I ordered the pig platter twice!

The evening also featured a pair of luau dancers handing out leis. The event was held in an upstairs open-air bar, when the temperature was pretty damn chilly, dipping down to near freezing for the evening. These two certainly appreciated the fireplace. (The Hot Zombie was also a good cocktail for the evening - better than a traditional Hot-buttered rum)

If the tiki spirit can make it to D.C. in January, hopefully it will make its appearance again in other venues, both cold and warm.

This was a very warming post, thanks for sharing!

I

Awesome! So awesome that I'm bummed I didn't know about this sooner! Definitely adding Jack Rose to my list of places to try. Thanks!

That was very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

Pages: 1 3 replies