Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mod Weekend and Mai-Kai reunion and history presentation at the Mai-Kai

Pages: 1 3 replies

S

Mod Weekend

The event will be March 15 - 17th and is centered around the Modern design of the Fort Lauderdale area. One of the architects celebrated will be Charles McKirahan. Besides designing several buildings in the area of the event, he also worked with Bob and Jack Thornton to design the modern primative Mai-Kai in 1956.

As part of the activities there will be a double-decker bus tour of buildings and the first stop is the Mai-Kai. I will act as docent and lead a tour of the Mai-Kai, highlighting the design elements and designers who left their imprint upon the place and the genre.

I hope you can join us!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: swanky 2013-02-21 09:24 ]

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2013 5:49 AM

This photo is back in the Samoa room at the Mai-Kai. The interesing thing about it is that it shows the original metal skeleton of the Mai-Kai. This was where the Mai-Kai ended in 1956 when it was built.

Seeing this steel beam, now sheathed in an aged wood finish, gives you a context of the size of the original Mai-Kai and the enormous changes that it went through over the decades.

Come explore the greatest Polynesian Pop Cultural place in existence with me!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-02-02 05:50 ]

S

This just in:

On Saturday March 16th, the Molokai will open at 2PM with Happy Hour starting then. At 3PM I will give a presentation on the history of the Mai-Kai and we will be having the second annual Mai-Kai reunion. Last year saw many "old timers" including Molokai and Mystery Girls, maitre d' and performers who represent the living history going back to the 50s.

Come join me as we grow in appreciation for the greatest Tiki Temple on earth!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 9:30 AM

Thsi is Carol. She was at the Mai-Kai starting in 1967, after coming from being a dancer at the Sands and hanging with Sinatra and all.

She was on the Tonight Show as Msytery Girl twice! Good friends with Johnny. Modeled a lot in New York etc. Oleg Cassini.

She is planning to join us Saturday for the reunion. Should be a grand time!

Pages: 1 3 replies