Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

MGM logo

Pages: 1 4 replies

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I can't see it anywhere: Does anyone know the reason behind the tiki in the MGM logo?

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 5:56 AM

Not a Tiki but rather the comedy half of the tragedy/comedy theater mask icons...

I think that mask is actually a non-tiki and stylized representation of one of the "Tragedy" and "Comedy" masks which are a common symbol of theatre and related performing arts. Indeed a quick Google search, and a search of a couple other wikis, shows that others simply refer to this element of the MGM logo design as "a drama mask." I read that the MGM logo has undergone several changes throughout the life of the company, and the mask has appeared in several colors and has been surrounded by various (or lack thereof) embellishments at different times.

It is not unheard-of that comedy/tragedy masks get mistaken as Tiki designs, one of the most common examples is this Arrow liqueur decanter:

I am 100 % certain the designer of this lovely ceramic piece had nothing "Tiki" on his mind, rather the faces are those of a court jester, part of the history of the comedy/tragedy logo.

However, to make the matter a little more complicated, there are a few clear examples where mid-century Tiki artists used the comedy/tragedy concept in their work, as in the case of these air conditioner covers at the Kona Pali apartments in LA:

Another fine example for the deliberate use of both concepts is this pendant, a wonderful mix of mid-century modern, primitive, cartoon, and comedy/tragedy:

That makes sense. It just looked NZ tiki-ish with the ferns surrounding it.
Once it's been seen in the logo, you see it everytime.

Pages: 1 4 replies