Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The PeguLounge Puts on Its Grass Skirt

Pages: 1 3 replies

P

Hey folks!

February each year is the one month I go whole-hog Tiki obsessed. My home bar is a modern black and chrome gem that is unfortunately very un-Tiki.

This year, I set out to fix that with as elaborate a Tiki renovation as I can manage, while still being able to revert to my underlying design in a couple of days, come March.

Here is my post detailing the whole transformation:
http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2013/02/06/basement-bar-overhaul-dressing-for-tiki-month/

I'd appreciate any and all ideas, comments, derisive laughter any would like to offer!

Here's a teaser pic:

W

Keep going Doug, dig your site!

Chris

Purely 100% my opinion, but I would start off with quality of quantity. The bamboo is nice and the lights probably go a long way, but the day-glo Party City decorations make my eyes hurt. There are some amazing tiki temples on TC, but I've found that you don't have to go "all-in" in order to have a nice tiki atmosphere. We went with the quality over quantity route for my home bar The Storm Shelter (http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=41257&forum=20&hilite=the%20storm%20shelter). All the tiki elements are either vintage or made by a modern tiki artist, most of them local (my wife makes some of the tiki mugs -- can't get more local than that!).

Bottom line, it's the people (and the drinks!) that count. I used to dress the bar up six-ways-to-Sunday for Halloween, but I've found that with the right people, it doesn't take that many decorations to give the place a good feel. So shop around on TC and start building a collection of mugs, masks, tikis and other cool stuff that will go a long way to giving your place a tiki feel. I'm sure Sven or any of the other scholars on TC can give you some great examples of modern design that was accented with tiki that look really, really cool.

(And I love the blog!)

P

Thanks!

Yeah, next year the remaining Party City stuff will go... except for Peeky Tiki. That's an inflatable tiki totem pole that hides in the bar bathroom shower. He STAYS. The leis will be largely replaced with silk flowers, but I'm not sure on the curtain. Any good sources for such a fixture that yells "Tiki" instead of "Vat of Industrial coloring!"?

Pages: 1 3 replies