Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coruba N.P.U

Pages: 1 4 replies

V

Does anybody ever tried this type of Coruba ? I ordered a couple of bottles of Dark Coruba online, but I received another sort, called Coruba N.P.U, with is much lighter, a kind of a gold rum, 40% Vol.

Would it be ok in a Mai Tai ? I hesitate to try it, I guess I will, but it seems so much less caramelized than the original dark.

I have not seen it here in California, it might only be available in Europe?
but it also might just be my area (Hi-Times does not carry it)

FYI - the Coruba bottles stamped with N.P.U. (short for 'Non-plus-ultra') take the original Latin motto (used in Spain) meaning "Nothing further beyond," and use it to mean "Nothing better" (top notch, unbeatable) in a common sense. In other words, it is just clever marketing to extol the virtues of Coruba, which really is a quality product.

ps. the Coruba bottles stamped with N.P.U. are only available for export in Europe and other parts of the world, except North America. Unfortunately, you won't find the dark variety either; the N.P.U. line is only for the white and gold expressions (both regular and overproof strength, respectively).

[ Edited by: RumScrummager 2016-09-25 10:59 ]

The bad news - every time you order "Coruba Dark" in Europe you get Coruba NPU (even if there is a picture of Coruba dark on the website). Happened to me 3 times.

The good news - Coruba NPU is a really great rum for the price. Gold Jamaican rum with lots of "funk". Use whenever gold jamaican rum is called for. It will work in a Mai Tai if you like that funkiness. I love it in things like a Zombie or Navy Grog. It's quite like Smith and Cross in flavour but with not quite as much body.

There is also an overproof version - Coruba NPU 74% - which is also very good.

Hopefully, this chart should clear up some confusion for a lot of people:

Pages: 1 4 replies