Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

TV Television Surrounds

Pages: 1 15 replies

I know I've seen pictures of peoples TV surrounds, incorporating your flat screen a bit more into a tiki space. Of course I didn't save any of the pictures and can't find them now. Anyone want to show off what you've done to your media to make it more tikified?

Thanks - I hadn't found that link.

We've got a BIG TV (tiki or not - it's our living room and we like to watch it). I thought I had seen some bamboo surrounds somewhere on here.

S

Used a sheet of insulation as a frame which was carved to appear like wood. Black foam board as the backing.

Used that to make a frame for a piece of PNG tapa cloth to cover the TV.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-02-18 10:59 ]

Here's what I've already posted in my home bar thread:

It's a removable tiki head that goes over the TV. When I have folks over, I can just place the head on the TV and play a video. I found a Blue-Ray set on eBay that has fireplaces, aquariums, etc.

Things to consider if you do this: make the head as lightweight as possible. I used the box and packing styrofoam that the TV came with. And I added more foam to it. I also had to keep over-heating issues in mind.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I think I still want to tinker with reshaping the head a little. It just seems too "boxy".

Here's a bad photo of it with the fireplace video:

Here is my post on the South Pacific Room Thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35684&forum=20&start=135&149

The Television ... (Yes I know that TV's are taboo in tiki) was a sore thumb in the tiki room. Too shiny and new looking for all of its rustic earthtoned counterparts.
This is what it looked like before.

We decided it was time to give the TV a little tiki vibe of its own so we went to Home Depot and purchased some very thin Poplar. 1/4" thick to be exact.
I wanted the wood to look aged so I busted out the stain and craft paints and did my best to age it.

This is the end result.

The Musket Hole is to allow the Remote Signal to reach the receptor on the front of the TV.

Closeup.

This is what the TV area looks like now.

Thanks for looking.

D
Dagg posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 11:54 AM

On 2013-02-16 08:36, Bora Boris wrote:
Here you go ~ How to install an LCD TV in a Tiki Hut.

that vintage suitcase is cool! All of these ideas are great, thanks for sharing!

Thats really a coincidence Slacks....

We have both put the same albums near our TV's and on the same sides as well...

Fire Goddess and Elvis/Blue Hawaii.

On 2013-02-20 15:48, Monkeyman wrote:
Thats really a coincidence Slacks....

We have both put the same albums near our TV's and on the same sides as well...

Fire Goddess and Elvis/Blue Hawaii.

Ha! Cool. AND... both in your Maori styled frame.

I just did this to a computer monitor in my lounge.

A ten dollar wall mount and a piece of bamboo from a dollar store and now it fits in a bit better.
Just add the right image or screen saver and I now have a "window" in the bar. I just havnt found a good beach sunset screensaver yet.

So here is my solution to hiding the 55 inch tv, the cable box, surround sound and dvd player....

I carved the frame and then had one of my favorite John Webber images from the Captain Cook voyages printed on fabric...

Front of the crate comes off easily for access to the cable box and the rest of the equipment...

Wow Monkeyman that rum crate turned out amazing.

Hidden in plain sight. Still going to frame it with bamboo.

I've updated the tv surround, so I thought I'd post that here too.

Wow! All of the “hides”are awesome.
Derick, dat musketball hole is pure genius. Who’s idea was it? Yours or Roxanne’s. Com’on, I won’t tell anyone.
Cheers

Tiki Mocamele,

Is that an aquarium dvd you have for playing on your tv? I'd love to get something like that to play on the tv in my bar. I like the idea of a bamboo frame for my tv too. I should probably put that on this season's to do list!

Pages: 1 15 replies