Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods album release

Pages: 1 39 replies

This outfit has been mentioned here before, and now, long time in the making, they have released their album on I-tunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/easton-island/id599599114

I am not a guitar person per se, but I was surprised how wonderfully light and relaxed the Tiki Gods sound. They concocted a successful mixture of Soundtrack, Exotica and Surf influences.

In addition, their bass player and art director is the talented animator/artist Chris Reccardi whose work I have always admired:

http://www.reccardi.com/music/

This is great news.
I have the 3 songs he did in the 90s.
And I saw him and his band at the Key Club
Downstairs lounge a few years back.
If this is anything like that show.
It will be really worth checking out.

Jeff btd

V

too bad there doesn't seem to be a vinyl edition coming out.

HT

I just realized that this is the album I've been listening to at work for the last half hour.

Love the cover art, and the music. Two thumbs way up. I'm very relaxed right now.

T

This is an awesome album. I've been spinning it a lot on my iPod for the last month. EE did it right.

AF

I went...Wow! I'll just let the photos do the talking...

...and this was their very first show! The band sounded great, glad I decided to go!

Very good to see Marie & Jonpaul & Syd in attendance as well.

Did anyone notice custom TIKI GODS guitar straps the band was using, lookie here!

BTD was correct, not to be missed.

Let the good times roll!

HT

Nice Domino!

I was just going to say what Sven always says.....where are the tikis?

Then... you had to pull out the strap!!!

Ouch!!!

Haha Ben!!!! Classic :D.

TT

Thanks for the great shots A Frame!

T

Did anyone notice custom TIKI GODS guitar straps the band was using, lookie here!

BTD was correct, not to be missed.

I don't think those are custom. They look like the Planet Waves Tiki straps.

[ Edited by: Tele295 2013-05-07 11:16 ]

Anybody know if the real cd is ready yet?

T

On 2013-06-08 16:12, bigtikidude wrote:
Anybody know if the real cd is ready yet?

Real CD? Is this album not a real cd?

Most everybody I know has been downloading it
:-/

I wanna buy a cd of it.

Jeff btd

HT

I would dig a vinyl of it...

H

Official Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods website:

http://www.ellioteastonstikigods.com/about.html

Cool,
Thanks hak

Jeff btd

TT

For all those holding out for the CD like myself ... Just got word back from their website.

"The CD is being pressed and will ship and be available on Amazon by Oct 15th. The delay has been the result of a manufacturing error with the first batch and due to the process of switching pressing plants and the touring schedules of some of the Tiki Gods, this has dragged on longer then we would have liked. They are now with a good CD duplication company and all of the other issues have been resolved."
Thanks
Tiki Gods

Doh!

And thanks for the note Tom.

Jeff btd

Gotta say that I too LOVE this album. I've only recently become a fan of the surf guitar genre so the way this album adds exotica elements makes it a nice sampler for people on the fence. Just a great album with a great sound and a ton of depth!

TT

Yay!!!!!

Finally got the real deal.
Cd playing now,
Digi-pak In hand.
Great artwork,
and cool liner notes by some guy named Sven Kirsten.
I think he must be kinda important In the Tiki Scene.
:wink:

Jeff btd

S

Just curious... the cd seems to have different cover art than what we saw with the original digital release. Is that original art in the cd booklet somewhere? (can you fold the book back and have the original art in the window?)

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

TT

On 2013-10-22 06:28, spy-tiki wrote:
Just curious... the cd seems to have different cover art than what we saw with the original digital release. Is that original art in the cd booklet somewhere? (can you fold the book back and have the original art in the window?)

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

The CD comes in a six panel digipak which has an evil tray from which to pop your disc from (mine broke a tooth out, but still holds the disc tightly). The original digital cover art is under the clear tray along with a pic of Elliot on a flap and a quote from Sven on the left flap. There's a cool piece on the back of the digipak too. I forget what's on the last flap (I don't have the CD near by). Also, the CD includes their song from the Jackie Brown soundtrack as a bonus cut at the end.

TT

The other panel has band photos and credits.

S

why, thank you.

Good to hear! I love those wonderful descriptions....how about some PHOTOS, too? :D

Bump, get this great cd

T

Ready for Vol. 2, EE?

TT

Didn't they call it quits?
They were supposed to play Tiki Oasis last year, and that didn't happen. :(

I bought it and plan to play it on my radio show soon.

Yeah, they're no more. Too bad, I really liked the whole album, and was proud to have my liner notes on there. Word is Easton was disappointed with the lack of popular success of the project...

as big as Tiki is getting, its still a Niche genre, and with the decline of cd sales.
I was not surprised it didn't set the charts on fire.
I heard that his guys needed a steady gig to keep doing it,
and finding even a once a week gig in vegas doing exotica, would cover 7 or 8 peoples money requirements.
and there is the fact, that most people going to vegas prob. wouldn't want to see it.
SADLY

;-/

jeff(btd)

8T

On 2014-09-18 06:48, bigtikidude wrote:
Bump, get this great cd

Ok I just did!

do you like it?

Jeff Btd

8T

Oh yeah. Took the seller a LONG time to send it though. I like how some of the tunes sound as though they could also be used as B Western movie themes. Of course it isn't country music but let your ear imagine...Just a neat style of music.
Hey it's only about 10 bucks and you will like it.

T

Just listened to some Youtube selections by these guys VERY melodic surf (:

Pages: 1 39 replies