Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Best Mai Tai in Hilo?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I don't know if anyone cares, but I tried a bunch of Mai Tais in Hilo. There aren't any tiki bars in Hilo, I don't think there would be a big demand for one either. But there are a lot of places that serve Mai Tais.

First I went to Chaing Mai for lunch. This is my friends favorite Thai food restaurant in Hilo, so it was a no brainer. I saw that they had a Mai Tai on their menu, so I of course ordered it.

Oh no, Grenadine...
It was drinkable and Henry asked what I would rate it on a scale of 1-10. I said 3. The food was great though, I strongly recommend it.

That night we went to a newer restaurant, Pineapples for dinner. They also had a Mai Tai on their menu, so again, I ordered it.

Henry asked again what I would rate it and I said 8. THIS WAS the best mai tai in Hilo in my opinion. They had good food too and quite a menu. Live music as well. Very cool place and if you are driving through from Kona, Pineapples is the place that you should stop for lunch.

The last day we were in Hilo, we went to Cronie's. This is the sports bar on the main strip. We sat there most of the rainy day until our flight to Oahu. I ordered their Mai Tai...

Surprisingly good! Not as good as Pineapples but definitely drinkable. Of course all of these are Hawaiian style with juices. I also had a couple Dark n Stormys which were really good. I guess that they just use Gosling's ginger beer and rum, but it seemed to really hit the spot on that day.

Has anyone else drank Mai Tais in Hilo? Waht are your thoughts?

MM

We are flying to the big island on Sunday for ten days. Our daughter is doing a zix month internship at the Keaohou Bird Conservation Center. We will be staying mostly in the village of Volcano. Thanks for scouting our the Mai Tais for us. I will let you know what we find and how we liked the Mai Tais you found.

Moai Mike

Sounds great! Enjoy the Big Island. There is a lot of cool stuff to do.

Thanks for the info
Looks like u had fun
Now I'm thirsty for one

Jon

V

On 2013-03-01 18:46, Moai Mike wrote:
We will be staying mostly in the village of Volcano.

Moai Mike

I was going to recommend the fabulous Mai-Tais at the Keawi Kitchen in Volcano - but I just found out (via Google) that they closed! Now I am sad. I love staying in Volcano, and that was our favorite spot to eat.

W

On 2013-02-25 19:01, lunavideogames wrote:
I don't know if anyone cares, but I tried a bunch of Mai Tais in Hilo. There aren't any tiki bars in Hilo, I don't think there would be a big demand for one either. But there are a lot of places that serve Mai Tais.

First I went to Chaing Mai for lunch. This is my friends favorite Thai food restaurant in Hilo, so it was a no brainer. I saw that they had a Mai Tai on their menu, so I of course ordered it.

Oh no, Grenadine...
It was drinkable and Henry asked what I would rate it on a scale of 1-10. I said 3. The food was great though, I strongly recommend it.

Are you sure that place served you a Mai Tai and not a Mai Thai?

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2013-05-02 12:09 ]

It was pretty gross but I have had worse. I generally make it a rule to order a Mai Tai whenever it is on the menu just for fun. But also the same rule applies in opposite. If a bar/resturaunt doesn't have a Mai Tai on their menu, DO NOT ask them to make you one. This will always end up poorly. The second time we were in Hilo we went to a real divey bar. I ran to the bathroom and on my way back I heard my wife ask for a Mai Tai. Besides us there were 4 old natives drinking cheap beer in the bar. The bartender turned to my wife and said, "sorry we are out of strawberries." I think this is how they came up with the term haole. I guess I should make sure to fully explain my rules to my wife :)

Edit - I didn't mean my wife in particular, but the four white people that don't just get beers at a dive bar :)

[ Edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-05-03 23:04 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies