Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Authentic Mai-Tai Alert

Pages: 1 13 replies

M
MrFab posted on Tue, Feb 26, 2013 4:26 PM

After I ordered a Mai Tai at the Boneyard Bistro, a BBQ joint on Ventura in Sherman Oaks, the waiter looked at me worried: "have you ordered one here before?" "Um, yes.." "Because this is an authentic old recipe, it's not like the usual ones most places sell." I said, "You mean, it's not like some alcoholic Hi-C? Bring it on!"

Tasted good to me, but I'll let you experts go and check it out. (Can get very crowded in the evenings, tho.) I'm curious to hear your verdicts...

here's their cocktail menu:
http://www.boneyardbistro.com/menus/Whiskey%20Drinks2.13.13.pdf

A proper Mai Tai at a BBQ place, who would have thunk it!

I was just talking to someone about this at Bahooka today, he was wondering if some craft cocktail outfit would take it over it could be a success. I voiced my doubts, because people nowadays just don't drive drunk as far and as much as they used too. The attitude to strong drinks has changed in the general public, and especially women cannot stomach full strength rum concoctions anymore. That's why we hear stories of bar regulars not liking a sudden change-over to proper Mai Tais, and that is why that waiter gave a warning.

I am talking "the general public" here, not you lushes that congregate on Tiki Central ! :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-02-26 20:30 ]

That's the cocktail menu for a bbq joint? WOW! I could love me some bbq daily! Particularly like the Ian Fleming [martini] "Americano" [stirred not shaken] :)

Mai Tai sounds perfect (even with the float) ... wonder what type of orgeat they are using, house or a brand?

That is an old school cocktail menu, me thinks someone there has the
"Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails" book, ATP sez "Excellent"!

HT

Agreed, ATP, but it seems that they've put their own twist on things, which is nice.

bigbro, your summation of drinking culture was quite amusing. Another facet of that is the proliferation of the idea that for men, cocktails = something mixed with Coke, and for women, cocktails = sugary, sweet, brightly colored or chocolate, and served in a martini glass. Even at the Whiskey Bar that I go to. As in somewhere that has over 100 types of whiskey, and whose owner has taken the time and expense to become a whiskey sommelier, they serve these types of cocktails because it's a smart business decision. The "Woo" Girl Martini, which is bright pink, and references the call of the drunken college girl, for example.

Fortunately, this BBQ joint is an example of the "craft cocktail" culture still gaining momentum, as bars continue to open and focus on taste, and quality. In Pittsburgh, a city known for how serious it takes its beer drinking (and by serious, it means that most of the population holds drinking beer near and dear), we've got a growing number of "craft cocktail" bars, from joints that specialize in pre-prohibition, to civil war cider houses, to an actual speakeasy that reopened after being lost for 80 years.

Although I'm no authority on the matter, if things continue as they are with bar/cocktail culture, I wouldn't be surprised if Poly Pop came back around to the mainstream. As we all know there's already a solid base of younger bar owners who respect tiki, and operate successful establishments: Smuggler's & FI, Hale Pele, PKNY, Lani Kai, and the like, which respect not only the cocktails, but the decor, and culture as a whole.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

EDIT: The Lani Kai apparently closed in September. Crap.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-27 06:42 ]

On 2013-02-27 04:11, Hale Tiki wrote:
Although I'm no authority on the matter, if things continue as they are with bar/cocktail culture, I wouldn't be surprised if Poly Pop came back around to the mainstream.

That has already happened. When by the middle to late 2000s the effect of the Book of Tiki was whaning (and it was running out of print), the burgeoning craft cocktail revival (which was in part INSPIRED by Jeff Berry's work) fully embraced Tiki through Jeff's work and gave the Tiki Revival a second wind that carried it into the 2010s. So much so that some folks think that Tiki culture is all about cocktails nowadays, and don't know the Book of Tiki. :D

HT

On 2013-02-27 06:58, bigbrotiki wrote:

Although I'm no authority on the matter, if things continue as they are with bar/cocktail culture, I wouldn't be surprised if Poly Pop came back around to the mainstream.

That has already happened. When by the middle to late 2000s the effect of the Book of Tiki was whaning (and it was running out of print), the burgeoning craft cocktail revival (which was in part INSPIRED by Jeff Berry's work) fully embraced Tiki through Jeff's work and gave the Tiki Revival a second wind that carried it into the 2010s. So much so that some folks think that Tiki culture is all about cocktails nowadays, and don't know the Book of Tiki. :D

Undoubtedly, but what I meant when I said mainstream...I was daydreaming a new era similar of the days of yore, so wonderfully cataloged in the Book of Tiki, where Polynesian Pop Palaces could be found in cities across the US. It would be nice to see a revival of the Polynesian Supper Club. One can dream.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-27 07:57 ]

On 2013-02-27 07:46, Hale Tiki wrote:
It would be nice to see a revival of the Polynesian Supper Club. One can dream.

A couple thoughts:

1. I know of one company who would be able to do this successfully in the mainstream - Schussler Creative. You'll see what I mean when you visit their web site and look around. http://www.schusslercreative.com/
  2. Denver, Colorado, has an interesting example of how something supper-clubbish and immersive can be pulled off and profitable in their Casa Bonita restaurant. It's not tiki or poly-pop but it is immersive and very well themed and popular and profitable. Note that their indoor cliff-diving area with 30' waterfall and pool area is tropical-looking. They are proof that if you figure out "how to do it right" you can be successful. Check it out at http://www.casabonitadenver.com/
HT

On 2013-02-27 08:28, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2013-02-27 07:46, Hale Tiki wrote:
It would be nice to see a revival of the Polynesian Supper Club. One can dream.

A couple thoughts:

1. I know of one company who would be able to do this successfully in the mainstream - Schussler Creative. You'll see what I mean when you visit their web site and look around. http://www.schusslercreative.com/
  2. Denver, Colorado, has an interesting example of how something supper-clubbish and immersive can be pulled off and profitable in their Casa Bonita restaurant. It's not tiki or poly-pop but it is immersive and very well themed and popular and profitable. Note that their indoor cliff-diving area with 30' waterfall and pool area is tropical-looking. They are proof that if you figure out "how to do it right" you can be successful. Check it out at http://www.casabonitadenver.com/
  1. Yes and no. They have some really amusing concepts, and they all seem to be executed very well. I've been to the Rainforest Cafe myself, when I was younger. But they create theme restaurants. They create them very well, mind you, but they're still theme restaurants. I wouldn't even say that something like Trader Sam's is a good Polynesian Palace. From what I've seen, the place is absolutely amazing, but it is quite intentionally Disney's vision of tiki, the same way that the Enchanted Tiki Room is. And so, it very distinctly Disney. I enjoyed looking at their site. I just feel like it'd end up more like Kahunaville in Vegas. (Not the one that WAS in Delaware. It was somewhere in between a Schussler property and Casa Bonita. Closer the the "theme" place, with the Casa Bonita environment. With a Chuck e Cheese thrown in.)
  2. Casa Bonita is definitely more along the lines of a company that can "authentically" style something. They're really doing a terrific job there. The Gaylord Hotels do an amazing job at recreating environments, and would probably also do a fantastic job.

Back to dreaming.

On 2013-02-26 16:26, MrFab wrote:
After I ordered a Mai Tai at the Boneyard Bistro, a BBQ joint on Ventura in Sherman Oaks, the waiter looked at me worried: "have you ordered one here before?" "Um, yes.." "Because this is an authentic old recipe, it's not like the usual ones most places sell." I said, "You mean, it's not like some alcoholic Hi-C? Bring it on!"

Tasted good to me, but I'll let you experts go and check it out. (Can get very crowded in the evenings, tho.) I'm curious to hear your verdicts...

here's their cocktail menu:
http://www.boneyardbistro.com/menus/Whiskey%20Drinks2.13.13.pdf

I've been to the Boneyard Bistro once this past December with some friends and I didn't know what to expect regarding cocktails. I assumed I'd be enjoying beer and BBQ. I was surprised to have my friend (who had arrived first) ask if I was going to have the Mai Tai. Well, I guess I was surprised twice. Once that there was a Mai Tai (which I was then legally obligated to try) and then again when I learned that it had Smith & Cross as one of the rums (I believe Depaz was the agricole).

For what it's worth, I did not get a warning from the waiter, and it was a really good Mai Tai. Best I've had outside of an environment where you expect them to be good (such as Hale Pele, which also uses Smith & Cross in their Mai Tai).

I'd recommend stopping by if you're local and giving it a try.

kevin

F

Thanks for the tip off on Boneyard Bistro. Would not have expected it to have that kind of cocktail menu. And banana pudding with Nilla wafers, to top their menu off!

to an actual speakeasy that reopened after being lost for 80 years.

Where is said speakeasy in the 'Burgh? I need to visit!

On 2013-04-27 04:03, Finleyville wrote:

to an actual speakeasy that reopened after being lost for 80 years.

Where is said speakeasy in the 'Burgh? I need to visit!

Are you in Finleyville? Are you aware of Pittiki!? Will send a PM!

Pages: 1 13 replies