Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mr. Bali Hai -VS- Orchids of Hawaii R-18

Pages: 1 3 replies

B

Seperated at Birth?

So what's the deal here? Was The Bali Hai the first, and Orchids came out with a knock-off, or visa-versa? Or are they 2 differant entities?
I've been eyeing the Bali Hai's for awhile, but the $25 to $35 they've been bringing in is a little too rich for my blood. But this orchids sparked my interest, and it fell under my $20 limit, so, it is mine!
I'm just starting to pick up older mugs, as most of what I have now is current stuff. But I still can't bring myself to pay more than $20 for a single mug, when I know I could pick up 3 or 4 decent new ones I still don't have. Believe me, I want the high end stuff, but for now, I'm quite happy going the "Quantity-vs-Quality" route. Oh well, at least the wife approves. She gave me the thumbs up to go ahead and center on Mugs and Hula Girls as long as my Nodders, Pez, and Action Figure collection goes on the back burner and I relocate them to my Den. Sheeesh!

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2003-07-05 16:21 ]

Not sure which came first, but I can tell you that Mr. Bali Hai is a good lookin' mug in person. Keep your eyes open and if you can get a deal, great! But I don't think you'll be disapointed if you kick down a few extra bucks for a nice vintage MBH.
Aloha,
:tiki:

The Mr. Bali Hai has its name stamped on the bottom. Maybe that justifies the higher price?

Also, be advised that currently, the real Mr. Bali Hai does not have a bone through his nose. So until Bigbro tiki finishes the job, both tiki mugs will replicate the historical, not the contemporary, image.

M

The other headhunter mug is still in production somewhere I think.....well, so is the Mr. Bali Hai, but you have to go to the Bali Hai in San Diego to get one...

Matt

Pages: 1 3 replies