Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Flamin' Hot Cheetos

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

Does it make me a bad person to think that Flamin' Hot Cheetos (FHCs) and Mai Tais are a combo made in heaven? Seriously, how can something so bad for you go together so well with the nectar of the Volcano Gods? I wonder if there is an origin story to this or if it was just a ploy by a forward thinking bartender to get folks burning up and buying more drinks to put out the fire. The first time we had them was at (what used to be) the Sandbar at the Sheraton Waikiki back in the mid 90's. Not a lot of places serve up this combo but a few do. It may be a little "low brow" but it's a great way to clear the palette and keep you thirsty for more. Here's a few of my "Evil Eye Mai Tais" with a little bowl of these artery clogging goodies in the background. Consider my ode to FHCs! And, yes, the cherries are really only there for color. The drinks are Grenadine free, I promise!

Very interesting concept, never thought of pairing the two, will keep that in mind for a future informal gathering at my bar.

Everyone should drink on Waikiki Beach at least once. There are some high-end cocktail consultants employed by some of those bars, and while not generally serving Tiki drinks, you can gain an appreciation for their updated approaches to mixology.

It's never been caught on camera but . . . I've been known to acompany my Mai Tais with corn strips and salsa, or hot wings. The combination is most enjoyable. I've even done the same with Zombies, Navy Grogs and the Jet Pilot. The drinks cool off the palate, provide a different flavor and after a few of them . . . you forget what you're eating!

Pages: 1 2 replies