Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki stops on US Route 1

Pages: 1 2 replies

Back in 2000, I drove all of US Route 66 (it's where the "66" in my user name comes from), and then in 2004 did all of US Route 20 (which might have even been better than 66 in terms of overall scenery).

Well, the long-distance road trip urge is hitting me again and I'm now thinking about doing US Route 1.

I live in Japan (originally from the Boston area), so for both the 2000 and 2004 trips, I flew into the respective starting cites (L.A. & Portland), then rented a car for the one-way trips to Boston.

My only major rule was I had to stay on the old roads - no interstate bypassing unless the signage indicated I needed to (although I did take I-90 from Chicago to Boston as 66 finishes in Chi-town).

Since one-way car rentals are so expensive, I'm thinking that I'll start in Boston and do a grand loop. I'd also like to stay on US 1 from Kent, ME to Key West, FL just to say I did it all.

Being from the Boston area, I grew up going to Kowloon on Route 1 in Saugus. So, that's a must (even though I go there every time I'm back home anyway). The Mai-Kai in Ft. Lauderdale is also on Route 1, so that's another definite stop.

What other tiki places are on US 1? I'm still working out the details of the trip (which should be during the last week of June).

I appreciate any ideas! :)

Critiki lists the Tradewinds Tropical Lounge in St. Augustine, the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona and the Original Tiki Bar in Ft. Pierce. I've only been the Hawaiian Inn and it's a pretty cool stop. The Mai Tiki gallery is off A1A, about 15 minutes from US 1 and definitely worth a stop.

There are two cool home bars worth seeing if you can arrange it with the owners. The Blowfish Bar is within a good baseball pitch from US 1 in Flagler Beach and my home bar The Storm Shelter is about 2 blocks from US 1 in Rockledge. It's on the way if you are going to the Mai Tiki. The Blowfish Bar is usually available on weekends but The Storm Shelter is always open for visitors. Both bars have threads on TC where you can contact the owners.

The drive from Homestead to Key West and back is awesome. No tiki, not at least how we talk about here on TC, but a great drive and some cool history along the way. Not tiki, but check out the Coral Castle in Homestead.

Thanks for the info! I'll check those places out.

And if anyone knows of some decent stops between Massachusetts and Florida, please add to this thread.

Pages: 1 2 replies