Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

how to tie fish float nets?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I've searched but have not located a good guide to tie float nets. If I have missed the appropriate post I apologize. I've looked here and elsewhere on the Net and haven't found anything detailed enough to do it right. I have a box of 20 baseball sized floats and want to hand tie a few of them. Does anybody have a good trick or two to share on how to makes these things right? Mine are less then awesome.

Hello!

Here's a web page with instructions that I use. Works good but takes time and patience.

http://batjakltd.com/id82.html

This web page gives a quick starter tutorial but then I feel it leaves you hanging.

http://www.olypen.com/elgato/ballnets.htm

Best of luck!

Chris
WestADad

The first method seems complicated. I used the second drawing and it was enough to get me started but you kinda have to figure out for yourself how to finish it. If you have problems Erk, PM me and I can take some pics

W

Yep, right Mike, the rose knot is the hardest, once past that it wasn't bad except for drawing nearly 200 feet of rope through a bight every time. Thankfully the rope gets shorter! :)

[ Edited by: WestADad 2013-03-15 14:48 ]

T

"The first method seems complicated"
I think they are both tied the same way.
Do want to try this way though.

These are not the way I tie mine.
Kinda made up my own way, I can tie em on the couch and watch TV.

Tip use what you think is too much rope, then use more.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

W

On 2013-03-15 14:40, tikiskip wrote:

Tip use what you think is too much rope, then use more.

Amen!

H

I make a lot of these floats and as far as the length of each rope goes, I fold each piece of rope in half and the length I use is 8 times the length of the diameter of the glass ball.
lets say the ball is 8 inches long in diameter, times 8 is 64 inches, I cut pieces of ropes that are 128 inches each and fold them in half and start making these floats. Usually I make 5 or 7 or 9 of these ropes per glass ball and they seem to work well as opposed to 2 and 4 and 6 pieces.....
The more dense you like to have your float look the more ropes you add on. I do get to have a lot of left over rope at the top but I mange to make it work and I complete each one nicely.
Also, if you like a tight weave (so you would not see too much glass but more rope) then you would use more rope for that effect.
I will put some pictures up one of these days when I start my tiki hut thread.
Hope this makes sense.

I had a glass float piece that the netting was ripped on - so I tried my hand at the float weaving.

I used jute twine from Michaels. The original piece was a red 6 inch ball and a green 4 inch ball. I had a gold 6 inch ball that wasn't in a very nice net either, so decided to make a larger piece combining all 3 balls.

For the bottom circle, I just wrapped and twisted some twine, till I got a piece that would hold up on it's own.

Then I made a spider. I used way too much twine - the instructions were for a 14 inch ball, and even all 3 balls used less than half that much.

I started tying knots, trying to do the pretzel type knot. After taking about 20 minutes each, I decided I didn't have enough time for that - and switched to a simple knot.

To finish the top, I twisted my twine into a rope, wrapped it around and tucked in the ends.

Not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

H

Looks good.

Pages: 1 8 replies