Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Z Gallery tiki stuff

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Yes, big evil chain store helping to make tiki "no longer cool", blah blah blah...
Lotsa tiki/hula themed stuff there, tiki mug-like candles, what-have-you. Buy something from them and help kill off the underground tiki movement. I started with this neat-o French message board:

That's snazzzy!

T

Or is it Zazzy?

Tiki-bot:

Is it that bad?

Maybe reintroducing the broader society to tiki will have positive side effects, such as renewed interest in tiki bars, tiki architecture or tiki culture.

However, that thought may be too Pollyanaish.

It probably is another example of a retail giant repackaging the cool, underground, retro or street-hip to sell it to the masses.

I am going for an over the top tiki decor in my home office and I love the bulletin board ... perfect. I'm going shopping for fabric this weekend and I'm going to make myself one. Thanks for the inspiration!

What do you think of setting up a bar in your office?

K
kctiki posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2003 4:30 PM

On 2003-07-05 20:24, CruzinTiki wrote:
I'm going shopping for fabric this weekend and I'm going to make myself one...What do you think of setting up a bar in your office?

I've been hitting the fabric remnant tables lately so I'd have some on hand when inspiration hit. Everything's laid out now to make one of these for myself. It's a great way to disply postcards and snapshots without having to frame them or pin them on a regular bulletin board.

It makes sense to put your bar where you spend a lot of time because you'll have more time to enjoy it.

T

I was simply referring to the spat of posts concerning "the death of tiki" and how once the general public fully embraces tiki culture it will be suddenly become uncool. I don't think tiki culture will ever be fully embraced by the public beyond what it has already, like plastic rafia, limbo contests, straw hats and Jimmy Buffet songs. Suffice it to say this is not most TC-er's idea of "tiki".

There seems to be a strong belief among many that once something is no longer "underground" that it will become diluted and lose its appeal. It's odd to read things like that here on TC since as many people seem to fear its popularity as much as others try to promote its popularity. Me, I'm pretty indifferent about it - you're either into it or not. And if you are, you make of it what you like. I liken it to trying to explain Burning Man to people. I just gave up because no amount of words can describe the experience, and the event sells out every year so they aren't in need of anyone spreading the gospel.

On 2003-07-06 16:32, Tiki-bot wrote:
There seems to be a strong belief among many that once something is no longer "underground" that it will become diluted and lose its appeal. It's odd to read things like that here on TC since as many people seem to fear its popularity as much as others try to promote its popularity.

I noticed that too. I personally don't "preach" the word of tiki. I believe someone should begin collecting and appreciating things that they like themselves not simply because I talked them into thinking its cool. Someone who doesn't discover this genre for themselves is no different than someone who collects Beanie Babies simply because its the "hot thing" right now.

Hey Tiki bot. Cool website. I started working on a robo-tiki before Oasis. Even had a plexiglass dome head. Where else am I gonna put the plasma light? I'm vibing you or something? anyways the reason for this pointless post is, what's the deal with the OasisIV post card?

M

On 2003-07-03 11:44, Tiki-bot wrote:
Yes, big evil chain store helping to make tiki "no longer cool", blah blah blah...

Hey Tikibot...
Yep, It's funny how that happens. It's almost disappionting to see something that you cherish become commercialized and made into a fad. For example tattoo's.

It's great for capitalism, but not good for collectors.
So... to balance out your karma, you should keep your most valued tiki mugs and sell me the rest. :)

Pages: 1 9 replies