Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tiki Travelers and Runners

Pages: 1 16 replies

S

Spent a few minutes on the computer last night making Tiki luggage tags and emergency information tags! You don't need an expensive laminator - 3M sells ready-made self-laminating luggage tags for cheap. Simply create your own luggage tag with a cool font and graphics (rubber stampers can go wild), insert it into the tag and seal! Voila!

For runners, remember to carry your id information when you run. You should do this all the time, but it is especiall important when traveling. I made my own tag on the computer with a nice Tiki-esque font, rubber stamped some Tiki images and provided the basic contact information for the B&B at which I'm staying and my emergency contact person. Nice and small, it fits in my running shorts pocket or I could attach it to a cord and wear it around the neck.

For medical information (allergies, etc.), remember to provide the info in the native language, if applicable. If you are in the boonies, the local doc may not understand English!

So, take Tiki with you wherever you go by making your own tags!

That and your favorite tiki statute (and possibly tiki mug).

However, I have learned the hard way that it is better to travel with a plastic version.

When I was in San Diego, I also took my new Mr. Bali Hai mug wherever I went, as he loves to go out for mai-tais.

Great ideas for the luggage tags! Any idea where I can get some good tiki clipart that I can use to make them?

S

Tiki Clipart is troublesome...I've not found great stuff for free online. Island Images (www.islandimages.com) has some cd-roms with Tiki images for sale and Dover's electronic clipart series (the African and North American Indian) have some nice Tiki-esque images. Their Mythological and Fantastic Creatures collection also has some possibilities! I often use rubber stamps, mostly, from http://www.stamp-yourself-silly.com and http://www.sideshowstamps.com. Fantastic Tiki stamps! Must say that the customs folks at the Shannon Airport got a big kick out of my Tiki luggage tags!

ArtBitz has some cool Tiki Clip art for 40 bucks ... perhaps still too expensive for a little project, but it's still a great deal over all:

http://www.artbitz.com/jumbi.mgi?mgiToken=F2INF69DGP37J73D4

~Hanford

K

I drew my own tiki clip art since I'm such a tightwad. Anyone can use it for free if they like.

But I need to know first, is it "legal" and/or ethical to post drawings of old (PMP, Leilani, etc.) mugs on the internet? I would never do that with new designs currently being marketed. But are the real old designs still someone else's property?

T

It's a good question. I think to re-make them with a mold would be a definite no-no, but your own drawing could be more of a grey area and as long as you aren't doing it for profit, should be ok. In fact, most people don't care if you copy anything of theirs, as long as it isn't for money making purposes. It used to be that reproducing most music (and art too I think) has a 50 year time limit in which you have to wait before it becomes 'public domain' but I assume that may be changed now with the litigation-happy climate we live in.

K

OK, if anyone can use some free vintage tiki mug clip art, send me a PM and I can e-mail the drawings. They will be a lot sharper sized down.

I always carry my info when out riding me bike. That way they can identify my squashed remains after I get slammed by a cellphone obsessed Expedition driver hugging the curb. ANyone know how I can find the deathrate among SoCal bike riders?

Hey scigirl, how about posting some pics?

S

What type of pics do you wanna view Atomic Cocktail? I have started my basic vacation pics with pics of other sufferin' bastards in the wilds of Ireland and will add more pics of scenes and things soon (working on that now, actually). You can view these at: (Note: I am in NONE of the shots - I hate being photographed)

http://www.tikitaky.com/ireland.htm

Pics of your tags!

For the bicycle stats...check out the Office of Traffic Safety, State of California website...Aloha!

I got these great little plastic tikis on bead chain from Holden last year at the Bash.

Although they provide no identification, I use one on each of my bags, and they have provided me with much luggage luck. A returned bag every time!

S

Pics of my tags...hmmm...I'll take a photo of them and post!

S

Posted pics of my Tiki luggage tags at:

http://www.tikitaky.com/irish_tiki.htm

I also used tiki stamps to decorate my emergency info card to take with me while running. Laminated it using self-laminating sheets and kept it in my pocket while toodling around the narrow Irish roads. Used the Fontdinerdotcom Loungy font for a funky look. The font for the luggage tag is MardiParty from Astigmatic One Eye. Their Volume No. 1 Specimen Font Collection has some tres cool retro fonts.

H

Here's a great clipart set that's just been released. There's a handful of tiki images in there, and the other images are pretty swell, too. It's royalty-free, and only $32 bucks! Buy the same guy who runs Font Diner. This guy releases some great stuff at incredibly reasonable prices.

Snappy Hour Vector Images

Cool stuff Humu, just try not to say the "F" word to loudly. (f-o-n-t, that is)

-Z

Pages: 1 16 replies