Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Mai-Kai trip in July

Pages: 1 9 replies

I would first like to say how much I have enjoyed reading the postings on this site over the past several years. I have just recently signed up but have been a frequent visitor for some time now. I appreciate the passion that the members of this site exhibit and I have already learned so much from your postings.

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Mai-Kai this coming July. We would love to be there for the Hukilau in June but the dates of the event just did not work out for our call schedules. Therefore we have decided to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary by flying down to Ft. Lauderdale in July. I am very excited about the opportunity as I have always wanted to dine at Mai-Kai. I have read through the many threads here on the site that have covered the Mai-Kai in great detail. I now have a few follow up questions.

1. I have seen the recommendation many times that you should try to get there early and take advantage of happy hour before going to the show or wandering the gardens. We are planning to do just that. My question is, do you request your seating assignment for the show at the time that you call to make your reservation or is that something to request upon arrival at the Mai-Kai?

2. We will be bringing our young daughter to share in the experience. Is there an area of the restaurant that would be best for her to get the most out of the show? We plan to go to Mai-Kai both Friday and Saturday nights so we could change up our seating location to get a different experience each night if that would be recommended.

Thanks for your time.

HT

I assume they seat according to party number and when the reservation is made, but I have no idea.
I've sat directly to the right of the stage, and found it to be a fantastic seat. Really awesome. And right in front, of course.

Have you read the lengthy, wonderful articles on the Mai Kai from Swanky and here: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

On 2013-04-01 09:12, Hale Tiki wrote:
I assume they seat according to party number and when the reservation is made, but I have no idea.
I've sat directly to the right of the stage, and found it to be a fantastic seat. Really awesome. And right in front, of course.

Have you read the lengthy, wonderful articles on the Mai Kai from Swanky and here: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Thanks for the information. Yes, I have read the postings from Swanky and have spent a few hours going through the blog at Atomic Grog. The drink descriptions and overall information was wonderful. I am so looking forward to trying Mai-Kai's creations.

J

Two points...

1. I think Happy Hour is only in the Molokai Bar. I don't believe minors are allowed in there, you might want to check.

2. You need to tip the maître d' appropriately if you want choice seating for the show.

:)

C

On 2013-04-01 11:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Two points...

1. I think Happy Hour is only in the Molokai Bar. I don't believe minors are allowed in there, you might want to check.

2. You need to tip the maître d' appropriately if you want choice seating for the show.

Thanks, for the advice. I gave Mai-Kai a call today and they do allow minors into Molokai they are just not allowed to actually sit up at the bar. That is perfect for us; we will sit over at a corner table and enjoy the atmosphere.

HT

On 2013-04-01 16:12, Chadwick wrote:

On 2013-04-01 11:16, JOHN-O wrote:
Two points...

Thanks, for the advice. I gave Mai-Kai a call today and they do allow minors into Molokai they are just not allowed to actually sit up at the bar. That is perfect for us; we will sit over at a corner table and enjoy the atmosphere.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't see the performance from the Molokai.

I've frequently read about tipping the Mai Kai maître d' for good show seating, but what is considered appropriate for a party of two?

R

I went a couple years ago on vacation with limited time in Florida.
One thing to keep in mind: the tables for the show are small and crowded together.
We went the night before, just for happy hour & to check out the place.
Walking around the restaurant and magical garden area we saw many more interesting seating areas-
(plus glimpses of the show) and decided to forgo the show and request a special table for the next night in the garden next to a waterfall.
For us, it was a better idea. It was a fantastic night!

On 2013-04-01 21:36, rixzantis wrote:
I went a couple years ago on vacation with limited time in Florida.
One thing to keep in mind: the tables for the show are small and crowded together.
We went the night before, just for happy hour & to check out the place.
Walking around the restaurant and magical garden area we saw many more interesting seating areas-
(plus glimpses of the show) and decided to forgo the show and request a special table for the next night in the garden next to a waterfall.
For us, it was a better idea. It was a fantastic night!

That sounds like a good idea. We are planning to go both Friday and Saturday night while down there and we too plan to use the first night to scout things out. We may just enjoy happy hour on Friday and walk the gardens. Saturday night we hope to catch the show but we will just play it by ear. I think our little one will have a wonderful time no matter what and will get a kick out of the show.

S

I think the 2 best seats are A) Garden, down front where you can feel the heat of the flames and B) Tonga up front in the middle on the rail. Great view, not neck craning.

Pages: 1 9 replies