Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Kai Zombie.. Actually had one I didn't like (I know..blasphemy!)

Pages: 1 8 replies

TT

Tuesday night I was at the Mai Kai. First I had a Jet Pilot then a Zombie...just got the order in before Happy Hour closed. Anyway I did not like the Zombie. It was way too heavy on the grapefruit juice- overpowering really. I have had dozens of Zombies there before and do not remember having one like this. I'm hoping it was just an off night or has anyone else had the same experience. Btw..I love the Mai Kai and feel privileged that I live close enough to visit a couple of times a year. The Jet Pilot was great.....

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to point out that the fresh grapefruit juice at The Mai-Kai is seasonal. Sometimes it's the white variety, but more often it's red. I prefer the white in the Zombie, but the red works better in other drinks. It's also possible someone over-poured the juice in that particular drink. Stranger things have happened.

At any rate, I wanted to share my latest updates and revised tribute recipe for The Mai-Kai's Zombie, which I still consider the best cocktail on the menu ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/

On 2016-11-20 11:32, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
...It's also possible someone over-poured the juice in that particular drink. Stranger things have happened...

...not as strange as the fact that someone felt it to be necessary to start its own thread for this observation (!?)

Keep up the good work, Jim. Looking forward to be tasting it soon!

Might have to make that tonight.

L

I've never been to Mai Kai, but I found Atomic Grog tribute recipe is also way too tart/juicy. 1.5oz of lemon/lime + .75 passion fruit syrup only to be balanced by .5 honey syrup. Perhaps the cocktail is just very tart and juicy at the Kai. So far, the best version I've found is Smuggler Coves.

[ Edited by: lll888 2016-11-26 17:23 ]

Hurricane...I just made a zombie with your latest update. Great work! Excellent flavor! I used the new LH 151 and fresh white grapefruit juice. I had forgotten that I had started the thread. Sven is right it should have just been an add-on comment to another thread.

The Zombie tribute recipe is updated again to include the recently resurrected "mix #7" ... http://wp.me/p1xHjT-tR

Okole maluna!

On 2016-12-24 10:27, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
The Zombie tribute recipe is updated again to include the recently resurrected "mix #7" ... http://wp.me/p1xHjT-tR

Okole maluna!

Drinking it now - excellent recipe. I never had the zombie at the Mai Kai so can't compare but I'm really digging it. Surprised how much the passion fruit punches through!

H

Superb work as usual Mr. Hayward.

Tip for Lipitor Users: Try one with 1/2 oz Pineapple juice and (2) dashes Grapefruit Bitters in lieu of Grapefruit Juice.

Tasted Great!

[ Edited by: Hearn 2016-12-27 11:49 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies