Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013 - Hulabilly

Pages: 1 30 replies

B

Tiki Oasis 2013 - August 15th - 18th
San Diego Ca

This year at Tiki Oasis we are exploring the Hawaiian influence on American music. Part Americana, part Hawaiiana, Hulabilly is an American music style derived from the blending of Rockabilly and Haole Hawaiian music.

Just as Tiki Style is a blend of Polynesian influences as interpreted through Americans' romanticised view of the South Seas, Hawaiian music has been sentimentalized and interpreted by American musicians. Like waves hitting the Pacific shores, America experienced recurring ukulele crazes with a longing look toward the Hawaiian Sunset. Similarly in the 1930s, 40s and 50s Hawaiian Slack Key guitar and slide guitar seeped into Western music and permeated The Nashville Sound. American musicians used that sound to play their own versions of Hawaiian music classics such as "On the Beach at Waikiki","Hula Blues", and "Ukulele Lady" and then form their own Westernized Hawaii sound blending Hawaiian music influences with American early rock n roll (Bop) to create the sound of HulaBilly.

From Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys version of "Hawaiian War Chant" in 1946 To Elvis Presley's "Rock-A-Hula Baby" in the Grammy-nominated movie "Blue Hawaii" in 1961, Hulabilly was a popular music form on America's radios, televisions, and movies.

+++++++++++++++++++

Hotel Rooms and Tickets go on sale Monday April 22nd at 7pm on our website: http://www.tikioasis.com

Here is a Quick look at the ticket options:

Deluxe COCKTAIL VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs-Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events and one Tiki Oasis 2013 Limited Edition Tiki Mug!

Want more? You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')
and includes all the cocktail symposiums. Sorry this ticket is for our 21 and over crowd only.

Includes:

• Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
  • VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
  • VIP entry to all cocktail symposiums ($95 value)
  • Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
    Price: $300, none available at the door
    Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

VIP wristband plus mug (Thurs - Sunday)
21 and older
This pass gets you access to the Thursday – Sunday night events.
You will also get VIP access to ALL the daytime symposiums (except for those listed as 'special events')

Includes:

• Tiki Oasis Commemorative Tiki Mug ($80 value)
  • VIP entry to all symposiums ($100+ value)
  • Thursday - Sunday Evening Showcase ($150 value)
    NOTE: does not include entry to any cocktail symposiums

Price: $210, none available at the door
Must be 21 years and older for this wristband

++++++++++++++

Full Weekend wristband (Thurs - Sunday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Sunday night events
Price: $95 / $110 door

Limited number of tickets sold at door

++++++++++++++

Basic Weekend wristband (Thurs - Saturday)
18 and older

This pass gets you access to the Thursday - Saturday night events
Price: $70 / $85 door

++++++++++++++

Age 6-17 Weekender Pass (Thurs - Sunday)

Those 17 and under can also enjoy Tiki Oasis for all 4 nights!
Please note that evening entertainment is geared towards adults, children must be accompanied by an adult to attend all evening events.
Price: $18 / $25 at door

Children 5 and under free

++++++++++++++

Thursday ONLY Tiki Oasis Meet and Mingle
Kick Off Tiki Oasis in style with this Meet & Mingle at the Bali Hai on Shelter Island. If you plan to attend ONLY this event and not the rest of the weekend, this is the ticket for you.
Price: $15

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

Sunday Early Evening Showcase
Join us as we wrap up another great weekend at Tiki Oasis with amazing live entertainment, dancing and special surprises!

Price: $30/$40 door

Children 5 and under free/ Age 6+ must purchase ticket

++++++++++++++

The full schedule of bands + Dj's + symposiums + more will be announced later in the week.
Ala Carte Tickets for symposiums go on sale Monday April 29th at 7pm

[ Edited by: babydoe 2013-04-22 13:07 ]

For some reason people are freaking out all over Facebook about the rooms so remember...

You have to buy tickets for the hotel through the Tiki Oasis website--if you call the hotel now they will tell you its booked because TO has bought all the rooms for that weekend

They aren't sold out...yet!

Can't wait!!

TM

There were a lot of great "hulabilly" songs here and there by country and western swing bands over the years.....but only the Hula Girls (That band from costa mesa!) have devoted an entire act to it. peeps should go to tiki oasis if for no other reason then to see them play. Spike Marble was talking about hulabilly before anyone else even really knew what it was! I can honestly say that he is the one person who really started it up again. I hope they are headlining this event.

I Concur!

T

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-22 18:01 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-04-24 07:41 ]

TM

On 2013-04-22 17:54, Tiki-ESP wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that. Back then, I was still in the Hula Girls and we were playing in a side room for about 20 people. During a break I went out there, and as I remember it, it was saturday night, prime time, the crowd was HUGE and here is this band called Kim Tsoy singing songs from urban cowboy (ya know, the movie with Travolta) I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better. Well, hopefully tiki oasis does it right THIS time and has the Hula Girls on the big stage, at a good hour. The Hula Girls deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9zQ_40oxU

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-04-22 18:15 ]

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-04-22 18:17 ]

B

Hello all - for those interested in staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel for Tiki Oasis the rooms will go on sale starting at 7pm through the Tiki Oasis website. Please note you will want to refresh the hotel page to clear the cache.

http://www.tikioasis.com

T

I can get event tickets, but I can't book a room.

[ Edited by: TikiDude 2013-04-22 19:38 ]

Booked it Dan-O!

Can't wait for August.

It's a leap O faith to book tickets without the agenda up - but what else are you going to do the 15th - 18th of August?

:)

Hope we get some tikiyaki orchestra action - There's plenty of Hula but not much Billy with those awesome dudes!

Cheers!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Apr 22, 2013 7:39 PM

On 2013-04-22 19:35, TikiDude wrote:
I can get event tickets, but I can't book a room.

[ Edited by: TikiDude 2013-04-22 19:38 ]

Pool View rooms all sold out as of 7:20. You can book standard rooms

Thursday - Kim Tsoy & the Sauce
Friday - Chris Sprague & The 18 Wheelers
Saturday - Southern Culture on the Skids
Sunday - Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys

I am sure Spike knows when the HGs are playing...I believe they are opening for SCOTs Saturday.

O
Otto posted on Mon, Apr 22, 2013 8:26 PM

On 2013-04-22 18:08, lucas vigor wrote:

Expect Kim Tsoy and the New Tsoy sauce to headline, as he headlined at TO10 and was playing classic rock standards (Rolling Stones, The Animals, etc) for a majority of his set, because that is what we're all coming to listen to.

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOh08LuunOA and the crowd was lapping it up! Look at them! Tiki Esp, you nailed it.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better.

Lucas, ESP,
You should be ashamed of yourselves bashing Kim Tsoy!?!
Can you name an old timer who actually played in a Tiki Restaurant and has an lp from that era that you would rather see onstage? Please let me know and I will book them. Next you're gonna be making fun of Ernie Menahune? Or Robert Drasnin?
Kim Tsoy played some of the tunes that he would have played back in the day when he headlined The Luau Hut
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32449&forum=2&start=0

He also played some of the stuff he has been playing since then (40 years of country music)
I support him and applaud him for bringing himself, his music, and his Aloha spirit to Tiki Oasis.

FYI, he wanted to play Hawaiian Wedding Song (from his orig LP) and I asked him not to cause it is a clunker for a live set.

Looking forward to see Kim Tsoy back at oasis. no gimmicks,pretentions,smoke and mirrors- just pure fun with the tiki peeps! he's been doin it since the 60's this guy! the real deal!

ST

Kim Tsoy is awesome! We had a blast that year. I hope he's coming back.

S

wooooot! I'm booked, and so excited for all the bands, many of which I have seen numerous times. I'm a hillbilly hula gal myself... you'll see. and I'm gonna enjoy the Heck outta this years Oasis!!! Thanks so much to Babydoe and Otto for putting together such a great show!!! I'm sooooo happy! I can't wait! wish I was there right freakin NOW! can't wait to see everyone!!!

Booked a room, barely! Thought I could wait an hour! My mistake! Time to start getting some music together for the broadcast!

[ Edited by: SPYrateRadio 2013-04-22 21:46 ]

TM

On 2013-04-22 20:26, Otto wrote:

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better.

Lucas, ESP,
You should be ashamed of yourselves bashing Kim Tsoy!?!
Can you name an old timer who actually played in a Tiki Restaurant and has an lp from that era that you would rather see onstage? Please let me know and I will book them. Next you're gonna be making fun of Ernie Menahune? Or Robert Drasnin?
Kim Tsoy played some of the tunes that he would have played back in the day when he headlined The Luau Hut
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32449&forum=2&start=0

He also played some of the stuff he has been playing since then (40 years of country music)
I support him and applaud him for bringing himself, his music, and his Aloha spirit to Tiki Oasis.

FYI, he wanted to play Hawaiian Wedding Song (from his orig LP) and I asked him not to cause it is a clunker for a live set.

Oh, I see that I ruffled some feathers yesterday. I listened to quite a few of his songs, and have watched the videos. Sorry Otto, but I fail to see anything but the dimmest connection to tiki. So of course, for your event that's perfectly ok. Bar rock and lite country is not tiki. I am suprised I need to tell you that....no, take that back...not suprised at all.

PS, I made that comment before I found out Tiki ESP was not kidding, and you really did have Kim Tsoy playing...see, I thought that was a joke. I figured last time you had him that you maybe didn't realize he is definitely in the Jimmy Buffett school of thought, and wouldn't have him back. I have nothing against the man, personally. Just thought it strange that you would have a band playing that type of non-tiki music and then give him the prime slot, while you have excluded some other bands playing real tiki music because in your opinion, they are not right for tiki oasis. You know exactly what I am talking about. You asked if i can mention other old timers who have played in tiki bars? yeah, Pat Enos...from my band, The Smokin menehunes. As I told you in a PM a long time ago, Pat is the real deal. If you do a little research you would figure out who and what he is, who he has played with. Pat is one of the original Hawaiian beach boys. Like the guys that hung out with Elvis in Blue hawaii. And don't even get me started about Pat's dad and who HE hung out with. There are quite a few living legends that have a deep connection to Don Ho that you have excluded from your event because you prefer mosh pits and not-very-good country music.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-04-23 08:42 ]

C

Got to talk to Kim for quite a while before his set that night and what a cool guy.
It really impressed me that I could go to a big event and just hang out and talk to a guy like him.
That being my first Oasis it really left a great impression. The crowd was really into it and everyone knew the songs by heart.
What a class act. The vibe that evening was electric. Can't wait to see him this year.

TM

never said he wasn't a nice guy. But tiki this ain't. The fact that the crowd knew all the songs and really liked it is in no way a slur on Mr. tsoy, but a sad statement on the state of tiki music on this forum.
In so many ways, TC gets it right. We love awesome, unique cocktails, craft cocktails actually, and we laugh when some restaraunt serves pineapple juice, orange juice, grenadine, sugar and bar rum and call it a Mai-Tai.....most of us know it's NOT a real Mai-Tai and are quick to say so.
or we have so many cool home tiki bars on display, but every so often someone posts pictures of their jamaican bar with party city tikis or stuff from walmart...and we are quick to let the new poster know how what they have built is not tiki approved...

...but when it comes to music, people who don't play tiki music well, or even at all somehow get a pass? Can anyone explain that to me?

EJ

Lucas,

Please take this crap some place else. There is no need to be clogging this thread up with all of this. We get it that you are pissed that Otto won't hire you to play his event. You have made many references to it in the past. By the way it makes you look like a bad ambassador for the band that you are in. Always complaining and brow beating people this is not tiki music or this is not good music. To each their own. Go start another thread bashing or complaining about whatever you want. Better yet why don't you go start your own event and make it however you want.

TM

if the administrators of this forum want to ban me...so be it. Barring that, I have a right to comment on anything and everything same as everyone else on this forum does. I am sick of me being the only one told to shut up around here, for voicing my opinions on a public forum.

Maybe all you tiki newbs who think you know better about what tiki is will be better off without me.

Lucas out. It's been fun, Tiki central. 11 years total (I joined in 2003) and have had some good times and made some friends....you all know who you are.

O
Otto posted on Tue, Apr 23, 2013 11:34 PM

On 2013-04-23 16:58, lucas vigor wrote:
if the administrators of this forum want to ban me...so be it. Barring that, I have a right to comment on anything and everything same as everyone else on this forum does. I am sick of me being the only one told to shut up around here, for voicing my opinions on a public forum.

Maybe all you tiki newbs who think you know better about what tiki is will be better off without me.

Lucas out. It's been fun, Tiki central. 11 years total (I joined in 2003) and have had some good times and made some friends....you all know who you are.

Lucas, this thread was started for people who are going to Tiki Oasis to share their thoughts and ask questions. You are not going to Tiki Oasis and you are not sharing your thoughts you are venting and whining.

You should start your own thread called "Lucas Vigor complaining about how lame everyone else's music is and other whining opinions" and voice your "opinions" on that thread. Nobody on this thread wants to hear it.

And joining TC a few years before lots of other folks doesn't mean you have any more rights than them. I joined before you did. That doesn't mean my opinion is better than yours but when it comes to etiquette it seems I have learned more than you.

MT

Wow! And I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that. Back then, I was still in the Hula Girls and we were playing in a side room for about 20 people. During a break I went out there, and as I remember it, it was saturday night, prime time, the crowd was HUGE and here is this band called Kim Tsoy singing songs from urban cowboy (ya know, the movie with Travolta) I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing.

I have heard cheapo bar bands in bonephuck Egypt sound better. Well, hopefully tiki oasis does it right THIS time and has the Hula Girls on the big stage, at a good hour. The Hula Girls deserve it.

On 2013-04-23 08:09, lucas vigor wrote:

Oh, I see that I ruffled some feathers yesterday. I listened to quite a few of his songs, and have watched the videos. Sorry Otto, but I fail to see anything but the dimmest connection to tiki. So of course, for your event that's perfectly ok. Bar rock and lite country is not tiki. I am suprised I need to tell you that....no, take that back...not suprised at all.

PS, I made that comment before I found out Tiki ESP was not kidding, and you really did have Kim Tsoy playing...see, I thought that was a joke. I figured last time you had him that you maybe didn't realize he is definitely in the Jimmy Buffett school of thought, and wouldn't have him back. I have nothing against the man, personally. Just thought it strange that you would have a band playing that type of non-tiki music and then give him the prime slot, while you have excluded some other bands playing real tiki music because in your opinion, they are not right for tiki oasis. You know exactly what I am talking about. You asked if i can mention other old timers who have played in tiki bars? yeah, Pat Enos...from my band, The Smokin menehunes. As I told you in a PM a long time ago, Pat is the real deal. If you do a little research you would figure out who and what he is, who he has played with. Pat is one of the original Hawaiian beach boys. Like the guys that hung out with Elvis in Blue hawaii. And don't even get me started about Pat's dad and who HE hung out with. There are quite a few living legends that have a deep connection to Don Ho that you have excluded from your event because you prefer mosh pits and not-very-good country music.

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-04-23 08:42 ]

On 2013-04-23 15:24, lucas vigor wrote:

...but when it comes to music, people who don't play tiki music well, or even at all somehow get a pass? Can anyone explain that to me?

Wow. Way to make someone else's event all about you, Lucas. I haven't seen so many "I"'s since the remake of The Fly! Why don't you spare us from yet another of your self-inflicted shame spirals, and share it with your therapist, instead - maybe they will hook you up with some meds that will help you to travel more than 10 feet from your house to play a gig, like the rest of the hard working and hard suffering musicians out there.

On 2013-04-23 16:10, El Jefe wrote:
Lucas,

Please take this crap some place else. There is no need to be clogging this thread up with all of this. We get it that you are pissed that Otto won't hire you to play his event. You have made many references to it in the past. By the way it makes you look like a bad ambassador for the band that you are in. Always complaining and brow beating people this is not tiki music or this is not good music. To each their own. Go start another thread bashing or complaining about whatever you want. Better yet why don't you go start your own event and make it however you want.

+1

MT

Can we please get this thread back on topic now? TIKI OASIS 2013 - HULABILLY, Baby!!! :D :tiki: :drink: (~~)

I think they are way too many "Ryan Spooner" Hawaiian shirts at Tiki Oasis!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 12:47 AM

Let's move over to here

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45205&forum=17&start=last&0

it got a little trashy around here

Wow, every party has a pooper huh? Some folks see light hearted happiness and they just have to crap on it. Pure narcissism. They complain and complain and defend their need to be true and bluntly honest, and then become enraged and hurt when the complaints are directed at them. It takes a true sense of entitlement to tell a founder what do do with his own very, very successful and beloved event in such a public and caustic way. The personal message should have been enough for you. Needing the tiki world to hear and feel your disappointment was just childish.

On 2013-04-23 16:58, lucas vigor wrote:

Stay true to your convictions....please. Aloha

S

I have no idea what's going on, but Lucas, please take ATP with you, wherever you go.

Otto I am soooo excited about this years theme & bands!

If you don't like what's going on at TO this year don't go, more Rum for the rest of us.

I in no way have any bad thoughts to Pat or Bong in SM I know he doesn't speak for you two

On 2013-04-24 07:11, swizzle wrote:
I have no idea what's going on, but Lucas, please take ATP with you, wherever you go.

Why? what did I do?

H

Well that sure went off course fast.

Otto created a new thread over here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45205&forum=17&start=last&0

Pages: 1 30 replies