Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-1-13: Marking May Day

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 1, 2013

On today’s show we admired the advent of the merry month of May with songs about May, songs mentioning May, songs with words that have the May syllable in them and songs featuring people named May.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “May Day Is Lei Day in Hawaii” by King Nawahi’s Hawaiians, from the historical anthology: King Bennie Nawahi – Hawaiian String Virtuoso – Acoustic Steel Guitar Classics From the 1920s.

2. “All the Things You Are,” composed by Jerome Kern & Oscar Hammerstein for the 1939 Broadway musical: Very Warm For May, recorded between 1947 and 1949 by the Gypsy Guitarist Django Reinhardt, taken from his collection: Only the Best.

3. “Oh Babe! Maybe Someday,” by Duke Ellington and sung in 1936 by Ivie Anderson fronting the Duke Ellington Orchestra, taken from her recording: I've Got the World on a String, featuring Johnny Hodges on Alto Sax and Cootie Williams on Trumpet.

4. “Mayette Meringue,” recorded in 1939 by the Sidney Bechet on his 78 rpm album: Haitian Moods, with Sidney Bechet on Clarinet, Willie “The Lion” Smith on Piano, Kenneth Roane on Trumpet, Olin Alderhold on String Bass and Zutty Singleton on Drums, which is included on the historic CD: The Art Tatum Trio and Sidney Bechet/The Stimson Collectors Series.

5. “Sweet and Lovely,” song written in 1931 by Gus Arnheim, Harry Tobias and Jules LeMare, and recorded that same year by Russ Columbo, backed by Gus Arnheim & His Ambassador Hotel Orchestra, taken from the comprehensive compilation: Russ Columbo -- The Complete Studio Recordings.

6. “A Sunbonnet Blue (and a Yellow Straw Hat)” composed by Irving Kahal & Sammy Fain and appearing on The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 1: 1933-1935, with Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra, featuring Wilson on Piano; Benny Goodman on Clarinet, Roy Eldridge on Trumpet, Ben Webster on Tenor Sax, John Truehart on Guitar, John Kirby on Bass and Cozy Cole on Drums.

7. “In the Middle of May,” written by Al Stillman & Fred E. Ahlert and recorded in 1945 by Anita O’Day with Buddy Stewart fronting Gene Krupa & His Orchestra, which appears on her CD Box Set: Young Anita, featuring Charlie Ventura on Tenor Sax.

8. “Buzz Me” sung by Ella Mae Morse in 1946 with the aptly named Billy May and His Orchestra, appearing in the CD Box Set: The Essence of Jazz Vocals.

9. “Let Me Love You,” the song written by Bart Howard for the 1953 Broadway revue: John Murray Anderson's Almanac, sung by Blossom Dearie on her 1957 LP: Give Him the Ooh-La-La, with Ms. Dearie on Vocals and Piano, Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Jo Jones on Drums.

10. “Blackberry Winter” performed by the Pianist Marian McPartland on her 2007 recording Twilight World, which was made when she was 90 years old. The title of this song written by Alec Wilder and Loonis McGlohon refers to a period of cold weather in late spring when blackberries are in bloom, usually in May.

11. “You Hit the Spot,” the song by Mack Gordon and Harry Revel sung by Sarah Vaughan on her 1957 LP: Swingin’ Easy, featuring John Malachi on Piano; Joe Benjamin on Bass; and Roy Haynes on Drums.

12. “My Romance,” the Rodgers and Hart song from the 1935 Broadway musical: Jumbo sung by Carmen McRae on her 1958 LP: Book of Ballads, with Don Abney on Piano, Joe Benjamin on Bass and Charles Smith on Drums.

13. “I Didn't Know What Time It Was,” also penned by Rodgers and Hart for the 1939 Broadway musical: Too Many Girls, here heard in the 1953 version sung by Peggy Lee and appearing on her The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection.

14. Another Rodgers and Hart classic from the 1938 Broadway musical: I Married An Angel, “Spring Is Here,” performed by Pete Rugolo and His Orchestra on their 1956 LP: Adventures in Rhythm, featuring Dave Pell on Tenor Sax, Ted Nash on Oboe and Katherine Julyle on Harp (Although this is an instrumental version, the lyrics refer to May wine).

15. “All My Tomorrows,” composed by Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen from Mark Murphy’s 1990 CD: What a Way to Go, featuring Danny Wilensky on Soprano Sax.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2013-05-01 14:56 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies