Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does Grand Marnier have anise in it?

Pages: 1 18 replies

T

Was sampling some liqueurs the other day and my wife and I both noticed a clear hint of anise in the Grand Marnier when tasted straight. Couldn't find anything about it online, has anyone else noticed this?

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-06 07:50 ]

I believe the answer is no.

T

Based on what? Have you tasted it? It's a secret recipe, and likely contains more than just orange. It's very pronounced if you try it, or at least it was with ours.

It's Brandy, orange bitters and sugar.

On 2013-05-06 07:49, TikiTacky wrote:
Based on what? Have you tasted it? It's a secret recipe, and likely contains more than just orange. It's very pronounced if you try it, or at least it was with ours.

Are you kidding me, I use it on my cereal everyday! makes a good Mai Tai too!
and since I am a direct descendant of "Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle"

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction
& Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" :lol:

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-05-06 13:57 ]

HT

clop clopclopclop clopclopclop clopclopclop the sound of two coconut halves being smacked together

"WHAT --- is your quest?"

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

Guard: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
Guard: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
Guard: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
Guard: Found them? In Mercia?! The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
Guard: Well, this is a temperate zone.
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Guard: Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
Guard: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
Guard: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
King Arthur: Please!
Guard: Am I right?

T

You're all very silly.

T

On 2013-05-06 09:07, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
It's Brandy, orange bitters and sugar.

That's the world's shittiest secret recipe.

The flavor of Angostura bitters, Suze and Peychaud's Bitters derives primarily from gentian, a bitter herb.
Orange Bitters lean towards spices that enhance the orange flavor, such as clove,cinnamon etc.

The liquorice flavor of Anise would not be conducive to the this flavor profile
Now we return you to our theater of the absurd!

On 2013-05-05 21:13, TikiTacky wrote:
Was sampling some liqueurs the other day and my wife and I both noticed a clear hint of anise in the Grand Marnier when tasted straight. Couldn't find anything about it online, has anyone else noticed this?

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-06 07:50 ]

No.

HT

Haha. I like the simple, but understated: No.

On 2013-05-06 16:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The flavor of Angostura bitters, Suze and Peychaud's Bitters derives primarily from gentian, a bitter herb.

Gentian is a wonderful alpine plant, the root of which makes one of the most intriguing liqueurs I have ever tasted. As with most distilled spirits there are high-grade and low-grade gentian liqueurs. "Grassl" from the southern German alps is one of the best -- if not actually the best available -- and I've tried four different brands over the years. Currently I don't know of any produced or for sale in the US, but it can be mail ordered. Sipped neat it is uniquely awesome.

According to this article, there really isn't much to Grand Marnier: http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-05-10/page-9/

"Grand Marnier's unique flavour comes from Cognac and orange peels - there are no herbs or spices added" I guess there's your answer. In your defense, they also say "It is so rich in subtle nuances that it's hard to believe all these flavours come from so few ingredients" :) Funny how in the late 1800s, orange was considered "an exotic, expensive fruit"

According to the article posted: its only ingredients are: "Cognac, Citrus Bigaradia orange peel, sugar and water.
they make their own subtle bitters from the orange peels" sounds right to me!

when i want to approximate grand marnier, i just add brandy to triple sec...

Pages: 1 18 replies