Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Takeover in San Diego

Pages: 1 28 replies

T

Just saw this today, but check out this read on a "Tiki Takeover" at Polite Provisions in Normal Heights:

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/article-11750-summertime-drinking-in-san-diego.html?utm_source=cooleremail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4468&utm_campaign=296827

A TC Meet up event?

Sounds like it is worth checking out. I might try to make it, but I think I will be out that way on Monday at the Soda Bar.

I like meet ups at Bali Hai the best. They have the best drinks and it is close to my house :)

Cabs get expensive for me to North Park. I have gone to the Bar Pink Tiki Tuesday many times and it is like $50 each way. Sadly sometimes whether the drinks are good or not depends on the bartender there. Don't get me wrong, I love Bar Pink, but $100 round trip for worse drinks than in my garage doesn't get me motivated.

Anyway, I will PM you if I can find someone to go with me.

Hmm. Can't make it next Tuesday, but may have to try for a future week.
We haven't actually been to most of the places listed in the article, but do enjoy URBN when Phil is working. We've had mixed results with other bartenders there, but he never fails to please (plus, real CT pizza!)

Sounds like this would be fun. Too bad I dont live closer.

A

Funny - with Wang's and Bar Pink having Tiki Tuesdays as well, tiki is slowly taking over the 30th St corridor.

T

I stopped by Polite Provisions yesterday and got a "preview" of a few of their Tiki Drinks. Martin Cate (from Smugglers' Cove in SF) will be down there as well. The owner of PP used to work at Bourbon and Branch, a great cocktail bar in SF, and is a tiki drinks fan as well. I'm not sure how often they'll be offering this, hoping it'll be popular so I'll be there to support it (slightly later, after 8 PM).

I let the bartender (whose name I forgot, sorry), make me two drinks of his choosing- he did his spin on a classic Mai Tai, which was great, and a Brooklynite. PP makes their own bitters, sodas, and more. While it's definitely not a "tiki bar" (far from it), the quality of the drinks is outstanding.

I agree, Bali Hai is a great stop (friends do a semi-regular Tiki Tuesday over there), but Tiki Tuesday at Bar Pink only starts at 10 PM (on a Tuesday!), slightly too late for me. Luna, I've had similar experience w/ their drinks, so don't make it a regular stop. Wang's is fun- and has a mug from TF, but I don't see it as "tiki" per se.

Maybe if everyone rounds up some designated drivers?

While San Diego was once a great center for tiki eats and drinks, hopefully it's turning around. I prefer areas other than North Park for easier parking, anyway. (though I'm a big fan of Urban Solace).

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-05-09 12:58 ]

KS

The Cat Eye Club in the gasslamp district has tiki Wednesdays. I haven't been there yet... Has anyone else been? If so, how is it?

T

Correction, Martin Cate won't be there, but Marco Dionysus from Smuggler's Cove will. I think I was confused regarding Martin coming to LA for an event last week (or maybe it was too many drinks....)

I'm excited for it. Their non-tiki drinks are well made. Plus, I heard there might be mugs.

I'm excited for it. Their non-tiki drinks are well made. Plus, I heard there might be mugs.

T

I didn't hear anything about mugs, but sounds good. Should be a fun night. I assume it will be pretty packed (as it is every day, but hope to meet some TCers there!

I should be there. I should be wearing a green cabana suit. My name is Charlie. Say, "Hi," if you want.

I should be there. I should be wearing a green cabana suit. My name is Charlie. Say, "Hi," if you want.

Got it!

I am going to try to be there too. Hopefully I will make it, most likely solo.

Same goes for me.....solo too!

P

I'm planning to be there sometime after 9:00, probably closer to 9:30. Might have a friend with me. I've met Treg so hopefully he'll be there and that will allow me to find y'all. I've got a full red beard and long hair.

• Anders
M
mieko posted on Tue, May 14, 2013 7:07 PM

I'm here!

Is it packed and what do the mugs look like and I don't think that I have to ask this, but I know the drinks are good...

Yeah you should let us know how it is :)

A

Went last night to Polite Provisions with a few friends. Saw a few other TC people there. The cockails I had were very good. And for a pharmacy-themed bar they made some effort to bring in a one-night tiki theme: masks on the walls, leis, drinks served in tiki mugs. Having said that, while I went, I don't feel a strong need to go back for the next Tiki Tuesday on June 11. Here's a photo of my Dr. Funkenstein cocktail.

I went as well. I think I got there later than most people, I didn't see too many familiar faces. I tried 4 of their drinks, 3 were from the guest bartender. The drinks were decent, my favorite being the Dr Funkenstein. Not too tiki decorated, but they did have some tiki on their playlist.

Lots of hipsters (to be expected) but most people were not drinking the tiki drinks. I had a good time and stayed for a couple hours. I wouldn't mind trying some of their regular menu drinks sometime, and I might go back for another tiki night. They did have a big menu of tiki drinks and none that we ordered were undrinkable. I would say that they might have the best tiki tuesday in San Diego if they keep it up.

C

Went last night as well, drinks were OK but the music was excellent; mostly Les and Yma. Spent most of the time at Soda & Swine where you could actually listen to the music (at the bar it was drowned out by people yelling at each over the noise of other people yelling at each other) and have a smoked pork meatball astonishingly similar to Kalua Pork!

Best moment was when the table of hipsters next to us were listening to the obviously never-before-heard Exotica and digging it, and one said "I feel like dancing!" with a big smile, weaving to the vibes.

Great place to drop off Oasis flyers...

T

Great seeing a few familiar faces (Derek Mitchell, Miss Hell) & meeting Brad & new folks. It was a busy night at Polite Provisions (most days normally are, I think), and it was an "interesting" mix of folks. Obviously, PP isn't a tiki bar, and while the added decor (tiki mask, TF mugs, and leis galore) wouldn't be my first choice, it was a good first try. Waits for drinks weren't short- but if you've ever been to Smugglers' Cove you'd think it was fast.

Well poured cocktails, including more than the usual tiki drink standards (bonus points for thinking outside the (rum) box)- but I agree with Cammo, watching other San Diegans dig on music and tiki drinks was the best part. I suspect there will be a few tiki bars (of varying styles) popping up in town in the relative future.

Anyone going tonight? I'm off work early enough to make it by 9:00, so I might go if anyone else is.

I wil be on a jet plane to Jamaica! Lots of Jimmy Buffet for me. Have a good time!

On 2013-06-11 12:08, lunavideogames wrote:
I wil be on a jet plane to Jamaica! Lots of Jimmy Buffet for me. Have a good time!

Have a blast. mon! Avoid those airline mai tai's. I hear they are the absolute worst.

Never had a good one on a plane, had free ones, but no good ones.

Pages: 1 28 replies