Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

NorCal Coruba Lovers Patronize Beltramos!

Pages: 1 13 replies

Not too long ago Beltramos in Menlo Park carried Coruba. It was a new product for them and I was glad to find it there because I hadn't seen it anywhere else in the Bay Area. The last two times I was there they didn't have it so I asked their spirits buyer when it would be in stock again. He said they stopped buying it due to low demand! Now I know I'm not the only exotic cocktail drinker in Northern California and I know everyone on TikiCentral prefers Coruba over Meyers so how is this possible? Is Coruba stocked anywhere else in Northern California? The buyer at Beltramos promised to resume stocking it but if I'm the only one buying it there it won't be stocked for long!

Note that Beltramos is a great store to patronize as they carry a wide variety of boutique rums at great prices, and they have free shipping in California for orders of $250 or more. That's not hard to do! If you're going for Coruba be sure to call ahead to make sure they have it in stock. If you know where else I can purchase Coruba in the bay area please post a reply to this thread.

Here is a little background info on Beltramos, the best liquor store in Northern California that I've found. It has been owned and run by the Beltramo family since 1882, excluding prohibition:

In 1880, Giovanni Beltramo arrived in California with Nebbiolo and Barbera grape cuttings from his native town of Castel Nuovo di Don Bosco in the province of Asti, Italy. He cultivated a vineyard in Menlo Park, and in 1882 he established a wholesale-retail wine and spirits business in town. After Prohibition his son Alexander moved the family business nearby to the store's current site. The store is half-way between the cities of San Francisco and San Jose, and just a few minutes away from the Stanford University campus, and although the family no longer cultivates any grapes, the store is within driving distance of the finest wine cultivating regions in California.

Since the late 1950's, Beltramo's has carried the largest selection of fine wines and spirits in the San Francisco Bay Area. Still a family-owned business, John R. and Daniel Beltramo, sons of Alexander Beltramo, have been guiding the store since the mid-1960's. The store was one of the first to specialize in imported wines. In the mid-1970's you could find 1947 Petrus for $99.00, 1967 Chateau d'Yquem for $27.00 and Domaine Dujac's first vintage of Morey St. Denis for $9.95. With the expansion of the California wineries, Beltramo's introduced the first vintages of new wineries such as Spottswoode, Chalone, Duckhorn, Silver Oak, Chateau Montelena and Ridge to the Bay Area's wine lovers.

Continuing with the family tradition of excellence in service and selection, Beltramo's has also been voted "Best Place to Buy Wine" in local polls of Menlo Park and Palo Alto for the last 10 years in a row. It has received recognition over the years as "Retailer of the Year" by Market Watch, the wine industry affiliate of the Wine Spectator and by the state of California by the National Liquor Stores Association with further recognition as “a top wine shop” from publications such as Food and Wine Magazine’s Wine Guide and The New York Times.

The Beltramo Family remains committed to keeping Beltramo's Wines and Spirits one of the world's finest wine stores, with a broad selection to suit everyone’s tastes and budget.

Note: Check out their inventory at http://www.beltramos.com .

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-05-07 23:07 ]

Is this spam?

You can get Coruba at Ledger's in Berkeley, as well as at least a couple places in SF.

Thanks for the tip about Ledgers. I've been there a few times and didn't notice it. They do have the best price I've seen on St. James Hors 'd Age.

HT

Naw, homeboy just likes his liquor store.

Hi-Times is apparently carrying it now :D I just ordered two bottles!

H

On 2013-05-09 13:40, Bender_Rodriguez wrote:
Hi-Times is apparently carrying it now :D I just ordered two bottles!

Something important to point out about Hi-Time Wine Cellars is not only do they have a vast inventory and low prices but that they offer $9.99 flat rate shipping* to California, Arizona or Nevada.

*Shipping details here:
http://www.hitimewine.net/Shipping.html

The Coruba Dark is only $16.99 for a liter:
http://www.hitimewine.net/CORUBA-DARK-RUM-1L.html

Indeed Haka. I've been ordering from them quite often lately. That $9.99 flat rate shipping fee to Arizona is amazing (tax free no less!_. This order I picked up two bottles of Coruba, two bottles of El Dorado 5-Year and a bottle of Herbsaint, but in the past I've found tons of awesome deals I haven't been able to find elsewhere, particularly at their price points and shipping. I've gotten Clement VSOP, El Dorado 3, 5, 8 and 12, Kahana Royale Macadamia liqueur, Lemon Hart 151, Flor de Cana Gold and a few others I've had difficulty at best finding here in Arizona. I'm super friggin' impressed with those guys. Now if they would only get Maui Okolehao back in stock, I would be a very happy boy :D (of course I was waiting until pay day to place an order, but turns out they're out of stock....).

On 2013-05-08 00:03, Trad'r Bill wrote:
You can get Coruba at Ledger's in Berkeley, as well as at least a couple places in SF.

Off the top of my head, there's a liquor store near the Trader Joes on College in Oakland that carries it too: Eddie's Drive In.

Up here in Sonoma County, Bottle Barn in SR will order it. They get me whatever I want w/o shipping charges. I'm going to propose to them soon.

are the flavored Coruba versions good? (mango, coconut, etc)

By the way, Beltramos has free shipping within California for orders over $250. Here is their rum inventory: http://www.beltramos.com/spirits/Rum . They have a great selection of spirits, liquors and wine and very competitive prices. For instance their price for Coruba dark is only $15.99, lower than Hi-Time Wine Cellars.

That said, I agree that Hi-Time is a great retailer that I'm glad to have in California. I've previously ordered a few cases from them using their $9.99 flat rate shipping and plan to do so again.

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-05-12 08:15 ]

H

On 2013-05-12 07:52, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
By the way, Beltramos has free shipping within California for orders over $250. Here is their rum inventory: http://www.beltramos.com/spirits/Rum . They have a great selection of spirits, liquors and wine and very competitive prices. For instance their price for Coruba dark is only $15.99, lower than Hi-Time Wine Cellars.

That said, I agree that Hi-Time is a great retailer that I'm glad to have in California. I've previously ordered a few cases from them using their $9.99 flat rate shipping and plan to do so again.

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-05-12 08:15 ]

You need to read the details. Hi Times is selling a 1 liter bottle of Coruba Dark for $16.99, Beltramos is selling 750ml bottle for $15.99. Nevertheless, if your local liquor store carries what you want, they should be the ones to get the business!

Oh, and as Bigtikidude pointed out elsewhere regarding dark rums and El Dorado.

On 2013-05-11 19:05, bigtikidude wrote:

Both Coruba and Myers went downhill really badly a few years back, around the same time that the Trader Vics rums got real bad.

for good dark rum, use El Dorrado 15.

Jeff(btd)

Wow, that is a great deal. I didn't even know it is sold in 1 L bottles. How does their CA flat rate shipping work for 1L bottles? It looks like it only applies to 750ml bottles.

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-05-12 13:42 ]

D

I usually get Rhum Clement VSOP from Belltramos - if they are stocking Coruba again that is great - they do a good job shipping from CA to AZ, and I have used them a few times

Pages: 1 13 replies