Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2013: Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

V

Aloha Folks!

With great excitement I am happy to announce the 1st annual Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k at Tiki Oasis 2013!

Whether you are looking to burn off some extra rum calories, stretch your legs before a day of Tiki Oasis exploration and adventure, or simply beat your hangover senseless with 5 kilometers of quick footwork, there is no better way to start your Sunday at the Crowne Plaza.

The specifics of the run will solidify over the next month or so - and I will update this thread as I figure out the details. Here is the current plan:

What is the Wikki Wikki VanTiki 5k?
An informal self-supported (this means you need to bring your own water) 5k run. Wiki Wiki is Hawaiian for fast - but this event is open for runners of all levels looking to shake a leg during Tiki Oasis weekend.

When is it?
Sunday, August 18th at 6:30 am. We need to kick the run off early to beat the heat and to allow vendors and attendees time to get back to their rooms, shower, eat, and get ready for the day ahead.

How far is 5k?
5 kilometers is 3.1 miles.

Where will we be running?
There is a nice bike path that runs near the Crowne Plaza and down to the ocean. We will do an out-and-back run on the bike path starting in front of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. See the above map for a layout of the course.

What do I need?
This is an UNSUPPORTED event - it is just little old me (and Ms. VanTiki), so don’t plan on aid stations or coolers of Gatorade and bananas at the finish. Heck, don’t even expect a finish line tape! If you want to run with us, be sure to do the following:

1 - Train for this event. If you have never run before, and would like to join, no worries! I recommend the couch to 5K programs. You have plenty of time to get your body ready.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2 - bring water (if you need it). If you are a beginning runner, you should bring a bit of water with you. As a rule of thumb, if you think your are going to be running longer than 45min, you should bring some water with you.

What do I get?
In addition to the warm glow of accomplishment you will be emanating at the finish line, I plan on pressing a handful of ceramic finishers pendants marked with Tiki Oasis 2013 (I have Otto’s blessing - mahalo Otto!). Now - this is a free fun run, so I’m only doing a handful. I’m not sure how many folks plan on getting up at 6:30 on sunday. If there are more people than pendants, we will have a raffle at the finish line, and perhaps award pendants for best dressed and other categories.

Wanna run it?
Great! Please, please, please sign up below. I’ll keep a running tally of entrants (similar to the room crawl thread). Have ideas or suggestions? Please post those too!

Mahalo!
Henrik “VanTiki”

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-13 14:04 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 12:04 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:28 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:31 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:48 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 18:56 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-01 13:07 ]

V

Wiki Wiki VanTiki Officially registered runners:

1 - Cindiluhui
2 - lunavideogames
3 - retro-friki-tiki
4 - Pineappleman11
5 - NuttyBoltz
6 - Mikala137
7 - Eric Musick
8 - Robyn Musick
9 - Edan Musick
10 - Willa Musick
11 - TheKiltedFez
12 - Ms. TheKiltedFez

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-02 11:56 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-07-31 13:19 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-08-09 11:14 ]

The bike path to Ocean Beach is an ok run. It might be the best because we wouldn't have to drive anywhere. It is flat most of the way and well paved. It is not too scenic being along side the highway and along the SD river. But it does have mile markers which are key. Homeless folks usually congregate along the path and underneath the bridges. I have run quite a few times without any incidents, usually they do not bother you except your nose. One time I stepped on a crushed can someone dropped and sprained my ankle, since then I usually run from Mission to Pacific Beach.

I don't know exactly where you get on the trail from the hotel, but I could find out for you. My friend works at Crown Plaza and he bikes to work everyday, so he will know the best route to take. I will ask him and let you know.

But all in all it should make for a great run. I hope to join but I am not staying at the hotel since I live close. Please let me know if you would like more information about this path or anything else. I am happy to help.

V

Mahalo lunavideogames for the intel - I just sent you a PM!

Henrik

HT

Very nice Idea Henrik, that should be a fun activity. Hopefully you will have a Senior division.

How about biking it? I have a bum knee and can't jog, very good anyways. If there's enough interest maybe a couple of us could bike to the turn around point and hand out water. Then cruise back when the last runner leaves.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, May 13, 2013 2:41 PM

I've got a an Electra Cruiser that's been Hawaiian-ized. I'd be WAY into doing a bike run with water for the runners.

Who else wants to ROLL?

T

The bike trail is easy to get to from the Hotel. I've ran it before. Just have to go through the adjacent motels to get to it.

PS thanks for doing this!

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 14:50 ]

I have a bum knee also... I may be interested in the bike aspect also (depending on my honeydo list)...

I think I will go for it. Even though I have done a few 10ks and a half marathon, I have never run more than one mile without walking. I think this would be a great fitness goal for myself, to be able to run the whole thing. And I could burn off all the booze from the night before. :)

V

On 2013-05-13 14:50, Tiki-ESP wrote:
The bike trail is easy to get to from the Hotel. I've ran it before. Just have to go through the adjacent motels to get to it.

PS thanks for doing this!

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-05-13 14:50 ]

Mahalo for the intel ESP! - should I add you to the runner list?

Very Important! be sure to hydrate yourselves, especially if you plan to drink the
night before! Van do you have a contingency plan for any problems that may arise during the run?

Your a crazy bunch, have fun.

Hey "Van" only you could organize such an event :)

I am sure whatever medal design you come up with will inspire others to run, "Van"

Looking forward to what design you come up with , I am sure it will fit whatever "crazy bunch" joins ya

V

On 2013-05-14 16:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Very Important! be sure to hydrate yourselves, especially if you plan to drink the
night before! Van do you have a contingency plan for any problems that may arise during the run?

Hydration is important! As far as contingency plans - as I noted at the top of the tread this run is UNSUPPORTED. If you have not trained for a 5K, PLEASE do not decide to go for it that morning! Ms. VanTiki will be on her bike with water, basic first aid, and a cell phone. That is it as far as support - it is up to you to make it back to the hotel on your own.

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

I guess Liz wants me to use "Henrik" instead of the shortened "Van" for VanTiki
so have a great time everyone & be safe.

Are you running....Liz? no?

Anyone who can party all weekend and run a 5k on the Sunday of Oasis gets my respect....I will cheer you all on from behind a bloody mary

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 24, 2013 1:54 AM

On 2013-05-14 18:54, VanTiki wrote:
Hydration is important! As far as contingency plans - as I noted at the top of the tread this run is UNSUPPORTED. If you have not trained for a 5K, PLEASE do not decide to go for it that morning! Ms. VanTiki will be on her bike with water, basic first aid, and a cell phone. That is it as far as support - it is up to you to make it back to the hotel on your own.

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Anyone who attempts this does so at their own risk, same as at Tiki Oasis! Anyone who attempts to hit every room party and drink EVERY drink offered does so at their own risk!

This sounds like fun, and I'm totally interested ... If I can wake up on time Sunday Morning.

:: sign me up & thanks!

On 2013-05-13 14:07, VanTiki wrote:
Wiki Wiki VanTiki Officially registered runners:

1 - Cindiluhui
2 - lunavideogames

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-13 19:13 ]

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-05-14 19:09 ]

The Pineappleman is all in....

T

Mixing bicycles and runners sounds like a not so great idea.

I'm IN! (as long as I remember to save space for my running shoes in my suitcase...)

M

I'm in! Also, I have to say, I have ran on this path every year at TO, and have never had a problem with the bums (I do see them every time though)....Also, I actually do think this is a pretty run....especially on the bike path! I took the attached photo one year on my run. :)

V

I've updated the sign-up list! SO excited about the rum - I mean RUN :)

Mikala137 - thanks for the photo! It does look like a great course! I'll be running it saturday AM as well to scout it out. Glad to hear good things about the path.

TheKiltedFez, should I add you to the list?

Henrik "VanTiki"

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-06-02 11:57 ]

V

On 2013-06-01 08:50, TikiTacky wrote:

I agree - apologies to those who expressed interest in riding the course instead of running, I'd like to keep this a running only event. The bike path is, of course, free to one and all, I just don't want to have to keep track of bikers and runners. So only runners will be eligible for whatever finisher pendants I'll be putting together. Sorry!

Henrik "VanTiki"

M

VanTiki: Hahahaha! I'm excited about the rum and the run! Also, I'm glad the picture helped!

On 2013-06-02 11:59, VanTiki wrote:

On 2013-06-01 08:50, TikiTacky wrote:

I agree - apologies to those who expressed interest in riding the course instead of running, I'd like to keep this a running only event. The bike path is, of course, free to one and all, I just don't want to have to keep track of bikers and runners. So only runners will be eligible for whatever finisher pendants I'll be putting together. Sorry!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Boo... You are prejudice for those who physically can't run... I'm suing!!! Haha! I can't run and I don't really care... It would have been fun and I would have been careful, but whatever... Have Fun!!!

Why doesn't someone set up a bike challenge too? The path is big enough to support bikers and runners. I would say that bikers could go all the way to the ocean and back pretty easily, and it wouldn't take much to organize.

I would do it but I hate bikers :) Or I am already signed up to run...

My training for the 5k has begun and it's already helping me get in better shape. Right now I'm able to do just over three miles in 36 minutes. I use my Endomondo program to help me with interval training so I'm still walking and running. My goal is to be able to run a full three miles without walking before Tiki Oasis. This way when I am hung over and exhausted I can finish in a decent amount of time even if it is over 30 minutes.

Thank you so much for this side event! It's great motivation! Yay!

C

apologies to those who expressed interest in riding the course instead of running, I'd like to keep this a running only event. The bike path is, of course, free to one and all, I just don't want to have to keep track of bikers and runners. So only runners will be eligible for whatever finisher pendants I'll be putting together.

You don't have to "Keep Track" of me. I'm a big boy now.

I don't want a pendant or a prize, thanks anyway.

I'll bring water bottles for free cause my bike has a basket and I've got some water on top of the fridge. Just tell me how many waters you want, it's easy.

I promise not to run over anybody. My bike isn't motorized so this shouldn't be a problem. Promise.

My bike is cool and everybody's going to say "Hey! You have a cool bike!"

I may give out pendants that look better than YOUR pendants to just the bike riders. If I'm the only bike rider then I get them all!!!!!

V

Way to go Cindiluhiu! That is awesome! Can't wait to run with you at Oasis!

Cammo - You are more than welcome to ride along (as I mentioned earlier). I'm just keeping the focus on running.

Yikes! It is July?! I seriously gotta sculpt a finisher's pendant this week! See you all at Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 5:16 PM

Cammo - You are more than welcome to ride along.

Right neighborly of ya!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Hey Cammo, if you start training now, you should be in good enough shape to run the course by then.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 11:16 AM

*"Hey Cammo, if you start training now, you should be in good enough shape to run the course by then." *

Yeah, IF.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 11:20 AM

Here's the water.

Here's my bike.

Here's the prize for the "winner"!

'Nuff said.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jul 6, 2013 12:21 AM

On 2013-06-27 10:09, Cammo wrote:
[i]apologies to those who expressed interest in riding the course instead of running, I'd like to keep this a running only event.

My bike is cool and everybody's going to say "Hey! You have a cool bike!"

I may give out pendants that look better than YOUR pendants to just the bike riders. If I'm the only bike rider then I get them all!!!!!

Hmm, this is pretty tempting Cammo now that you added the free water and possibility of a pendant!! LOL.
Doe does have the coolest mass-produced (I think there were 300) Tiki bike ever made

[note: that is a promo shot of the bike with Von Franco and a model, that is NOT Doe and me with her bike]

Just for the record Otto, Doe is better looking than that model anyway :)

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jul 6, 2013 4:37 PM

Otto - don't forget the winning prize!!!
A WHOLE FRESH ICE COLD BOTTLE of your FAVORITE LIQUID!!!!!

V

Cammo that is, indeed, a sweet bike!

V

Finisher's medal update!

I've been chewing my nails to the bone trying to figure out how to make a stack of spiffy medals for those brave souls who will be joining me for the Inaugural Wiki Wiki VanTiki 5k. With a mere 39 days left till Oasis weekend, things were looking bleak. A few days ago I had an epiphany (while running, naturally), and I believe that I figured out a way to make porcelain medals for everyone! I'll be sure to post photos as they develop. Due to time (and $$) constraints, they will not be relief sculptures - but they will be neat ceramic keepsakes to remind you of your weekend efforts!

Here I am logging training miles this weekend during one of the best sunrises I've ever seen on Oahu

I hope you are all enjoying your training, and are staying injury free. See you at Tiki Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

V

Some run for glory, some run for fitness, but most (secretly) run for the cool medals. With that in mind, I wanted to put something together special for the folks who brave the sunrise (and possible hangover) with me on Sunday morning. I had a few unique criteria to deal with - mainly the fact that there is next to no $$ for medals, as well as next to to time to make them. With only a month to Oasis, I had to give up on my original idea of pressing a unique pendant. It would just take too long to sculpt, mold, dry, press, dry, and fire (whew!). On top of that, it would be a major time investment for me. What to do? Well, it just so happens that I was researching printable decals for clay while designing Tiki Jugs for oasis

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18911&forum=18&start=885

And I realized the technique would be PERFECT for finisher's medals! Now, you are thinking "I don't want a medal with a plastic decal on it!" - don't worry, neither do I! These are special ceramic decals that you print with a standard laser printer and fire in the kiln. While cooking in the kiln, the toner vaporizes, and the iron oxide in the toner stains the clay brown - exactly like a classic oxide ceramic stain, but far more precise. At least, that is what is supposed to happen.

Over the weekend, I designed the medals and had a few sheets of the special decal film printed (it is the exact same "water slide" decal paper that plastic model kit decals use). I had intended to use porcelain for the medal blanks - but the bag of porcelain in my studio tuned out to be unusable. With time running out, I grabbed a bag of white sculpture clay and set to work making blanks:

Once they had dried out completely, I carefully cut out each decal, soaked it in warm water, and slid them onto the blanks:

This morning I loaded them up in the kiln, and they are cooking as I type!

Will they tun out OK? Who knows. I've never done this before, and I am worried that the rough sculpture clay may not yield results as nice as porcelain would have. We will know more in 24 hours :)

See you at Tiki Oasis!
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2013-07-16 12:25 ]

Sunday, not Saturday. Correct? :)

V

On 2013-07-16 12:21, lunavideogames wrote:
Sunday, not Saturday. Correct? :)

Oops! Good catch. I'm still loopy from loading the kiln :)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 16, 2013 7:48 PM

"possible hangover"

That's the understatement of the decade!
But, better make more medals just to make sure...

V

The medals look AWESOME!

Cool, glad that worked out for you. One less thing to worry about.

On 2013-07-17 12:11, VanTiki wrote:
The medals look AWESOME!

They Sure Do!! Great job man! Looking forward to running with you :)

The Musick family would like to sign up to run.

Eric
Robyn
Edan
Willa

I will personally find it challenging after a night of debauchery. But I enjoy a challenge.

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 73 replies