Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-15-13 Celebrating Spring

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 15, 2013

On this week’s show we celebrated the seminal season of spring and its reigning goddess – Flora – in all of her blooming and blossoming glory.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. A medley of “Lei Momi” (literally referring to a wreath made of Momi shells and also to a woman’s arms around your neck) & “Ili Puakea (White Skinned Flower)” performed by Alvin “Barney” Issacs Jr. on Lap Steel Guitar and George Kuo on Slack Key Guitar on their 1995 CD: Hawaiian Touch.

2. “He Pua Maoli No” composed and sung by Amy Hanaiali’i Gilliom on her album: Pu’Uhonua, featuring Ledward Kaapana on Guitar and Kenneth Makuakane on Bass. The song praises each of the Islands of Kauai, Molokai, Lanai and Hawaii and their named flowers in turn.

3. “Roselani Blossoms,” written by Johnny Almeida in praise of the Lokelani or rose, the official flower of the Island of Maui, performed by Hawaiian Slack-Key Guitar Master Keola Beamer on his 1995 recording: Moe’uhane Kika – Tales From the Dream Guitar.

4. “Ho'i Mau Kakou,” referring to flowers, trade winds and the sea, by The Brothers Cazimero from their 1985 LP: The Sound of the Sea Surrounds Me.

5. “Orchids in the Moonlight” taken from the regulatory retrospective: Jerry Byrd – Master of the Steel Guitar, Volume One.

6. “Just Humming Along” recorded in 1932 by the British singer Al Bowlly from the album: Just a Bowl of Cherries, featuring Roy Fox and His Band.

7. “I Wished on the Moon,” the song written by Dorothy Parker & Ralph Rainger for the movie: The Big Broadcast of 1936, where it was introduced by Bing Crosby, taken from The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 1: 1933-35, featuring Teddy Wilson and His Orchestra, with Wilson on Piano, Benny Goodman on Clarinet, Roy Eldridge on Trumpet, Ben Webster on Tenor Sax, John Truehart on Guitar, John Kirby on Bass and Cozy Cole on Drums.

8. “If I Were a Bell,” composed by Frank Loesser for the 1950 Broadway musical: Guys and Dolls, sung in 1965 by Dinah Washington and appearing on her Compact Jazz CD.

9. “It's Delovely” from the 1956 LP: Mabel Mercer Sings Cole Porter, originally written for the 1936 Broadway musical: Red, Hot And Blue, with Cy Walter & Stan Freeman on Piano and Frank Carroll on Bass.

10. Charlie Parker in 1950 playing “I'll Remember April,” which was composed by Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston & Don Raye for the 1942 Abbott & Costello movie: Ride ‘Em Cowboy, accompanied by strings arranged and conducted by Joe Lipman, with Bernie Leighton on Piano, Ray Brown on Bass and Buddy Rich on Drums. This was taken from the CD Box Set: Boss Bird – Studio Recordings 1944-51.

11. “You Don't Love Me Like You Used To,” composed by Michael Ruff and performed by the Uptown Vocal Jazz Quartet on their CD: When the Sun Goes Down, featuring Chip McNeil on Tenor Sax, and Ginny Carr, Robert McBride, Lisanne Lyons and Roger Reynolds on Vocals.

12. “April in Paris,” the Vernon Duke and Yip Harburg song from the 1932 Broadway musical & 1952 movie: Walk a Little Faster, recorded by Joe Loco (whose real name was Jose Estevez) on his 1960 LP: Loco Motion, Mr. Loco on Piano, Pete Terrace on Vibes, Juan Andino Garcia on Bass, Bobby Flash on Bongos and Conga Drums, and Freddie Aquera on Conga Drums.

13. “You Make Me Feel So Young,” The 1946 song composed by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon, sung by Carol Sloane on her 1996 CD: Songs Sinatra Sang, accompanied by Bill Charlap on Piano.

14. Jackie Ryan on her CD: Passion Flower singing her tribute to the legendary composer Billy Strayhorn titled “A Bouquet for Billy,” including his songs: “A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing” and “Passion Flower,” accompanied by Larry Vukovich on Piano, Jeff Chambers on Bass, Eddie Marshall on Drums, Allen Smith on Trumpet, Noel Jewkes on Sax and Luis Romero on Percussion.

Pages: 1 0 replies