Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coruba - Chicago Area

Pages: 1 12 replies

My source for Coruba (corner liquor store) has apparently dried up. Contacted Binny's(local chain), and heard that their distributor is currently out. Any Chicago area folks know where I can cop? Thanks in advance!

The entire state is out here and I finally got an answer as to why. (Edit:I went back and reread the email from the spirits buyer at The Party Source, here's what he said:

"Ok, got some news about Coruba. Campari purchased Appleton a little while ago. That means that their supply chain changes to Campari's normal channels. So Kobrand loses Appleton nationally, it goes to Campari, and in Kentucky moves from Republic to Southern. Hence, there's a hiccup in distribution. I presume Coruba will return in all its manifestation from Southern once the dust settles, probably over the next month or two."

Expect Coruba to be switching distributors nationwide, which will cause supply interruptions. So if you can find Coruba stock up. I've been forced to switch to Myers, which I don't care for given its overtly molasses flavour. I'm cutting it 4:1 with Appleton VX. Makes an acceptable Navy Grog that way.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2013-05-17 19:59 ]

After taste testing Coruba and Myers, I actually find the latter to have more of a medicinal, "alcohol" taste to it; Coruba has a much more nuanced taste profile. Hope that it'll get more of a advertising push form this move.

C

Meyers's isn't a great substitute because of the "unique" flavor that it is.

I was lucky enough to find 4 bottles of Coruba down here in TX this weekend, so fairly well stocked-up for now. Hopefully the new owners will pay more attention to Coruba, as it's a very nice mixing rum that is WAY under-marketed - including the newer label design that makes it hard to find on shelf - even when you know what you're looking for. It's almost like they were trying to hid it when they took away the old label & slapped the new one on a couple years back.

Any chance this will mean a wider distribution for Coruba? Would be nice to get it in Columbus.

And will it have any affect on the availability of Appleton rums?

I called my favorite local small non-chain liquor store this afternoon and asked about Coruba. They told me they would order it and have it here tomorrow. Cost is $24.95 each bottle, no minimum order, and they seem to have a unlimited supply from the distributor. When I pick it up tomorrow I'll ask which of the three Florida distributors is carrying it. I'll also ask if they ship by mail out-of-state. Then I'll report back here. This small liquor store has been around for decades. They are able to handle almost all of my special-order requests with surprising speed and amazing customer service.

---> Riverside Liquors, Jacksonville, FL (904) 356-4517 for those nearby.

I am looking forward to trying Coruba.

I'd recommend trying it out in a "Steve Remsberg" Planters Punch (per Grog Log Remixed): 3 oz Coruba, 3 dashes Angostura, 1 lime, 1 oz simple, crushed ice

Thank you, will definitely do that! Will also have to do the same using Myers's just for purposes of a side-by-side comparison.

On 2013-05-20 15:41, happy buddha wrote:
Any chance this will mean a wider distribution for Coruba? Would be nice to get it in Columbus.

And will it have any affect on the availability of Appleton rums?

The new importers couldn't really do a worse job distributing Coruba than the last one. Given Appleton's excellent, almost universal distribution in the US I've never understood why the company tolerated Coruba's poor distribution. The only answer I can come up with is that Coruba is a secondary brand to Appleton and as such isn't that important to the company.

Picked up my Coruba today -- looks like I'll have no problem special-ordering it in the future here in Florida. Will try the suggestions in earlier posts, but first will sip it neat just to compare it to the other rums in my collection.

DC

On 2013-05-20 18:47, AceExplorer wrote:
I called my favorite local small non-chain liquor store this afternoon and asked about Coruba. They told me they would order it and have it here tomorrow. Cost is $24.95 each bottle, no minimum order, and they seem to have a unlimited supply from the distributor. When I pick it up tomorrow I'll ask which of the three Florida distributors is carrying it. I'll also ask if they ship by mail out-of-state. Then I'll report back here. This small liquor store has been around for decades. They are able to handle almost all of my special-order requests with surprising speed and amazing customer service.

---> Riverside Liquors, Jacksonville, FL (904) 356-4517 for those nearby.

I am looking forward to trying Coruba.

Is that price for the 750 or the 1 liter?

Does anyone know who the distributor for Coruba is in the SW Florida area is? I have ordered Kohala Bay from Total Wine in Ft Myers, I will let everyone know when/if it comes in. Still haven't found anyone who deals with Lemon Hart's distributor yet.

TIA

I used to see Coruba all the time in Northport at a hole-in-the-wall liquor store in a Publix plaza on i think east Toledo Blade? (havent been down there in a year though, as my inlaws there moved out of state)

Pages: 1 12 replies