Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

really strange tiki dream

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

Last night, after spending a couple of hours getting caught up on various TC threads, I had a really strange dream. I was sitting in a restaurant, at a big round table, the sort that seats 8 or 10 people. There was a white tablecloth on the table, and it was an elegant place, but I couldn't really remember details of the restaurant, other than the table itself.

A middle-aged woman at the table was debating with me. I think she was a reporter. I was telling her that no one was willing to commit the budget to build a place like the Mai Kai or Kahiki in the presnt era's economy. She told me that here were tons of places that elaborate, but not Tiki-themed.

I said, are you trying to tell me that there are Viking themed or ancient Greek themed restaurants as elaborate as the Mai Kai, and which have been built in the last 5 to 8 years?

She said yes, and I said, "Oh, I want to see these 30 foot high staues of Zeuss and Apollo, the dinner show in a stone ampitheatre, and big white colvmns holding up the ceiling". She said that the place existed, and it was nearby, and it was new.

She started getting really mad. She was telling me that Tiki was offensive to Polynesians. I told her that in my experience, all of the Pacific Islanders I have ever met found Polynesian Pop to be just a lot of fun and sort of goofy, but not at all offensive.

Then this guy started telling me how bad the drinks were, and that we had to leave. I started arguing with him over the spelling of 'yipwan'.

My check came, and it was for an outrageous sum of money. The check said "Mai Kai" on the bill, but the restaurant I was dreaming was clearly not our beloved Ft. Lauderdale classic.

the end.

So, this morning, I started wondering... any one else have Tiki dreams?

JT- you call/pitch Nissan yet? Holden thought it was a great idea too!

On 2003-07-06 12:34, tikibars wrote:
I told her that in my experience, all of the Pacific Islanders I have ever met found Polynesian Pop to be just a lot of fun and sort of goofy, but not at all offensive.

Yeah, I hear that all the time... :lol:

Ba-Dum-Bum-Ching!

But seriously, when I read this one:

On 2003-07-06 12:34, tikibars wrote:
She told me that here were tons of places that elaborate, but not Tiki-themed.

The first place I thought of was Medieval Times which is coincidentally right next door to Wild Bill's.

Go figure...

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-07-06 19:53 ]

T

On 2003-07-06 13:49, purple jade wrote:
Just a few...
(links snipped)

D'oh!

Leave it to Jade to be my personal faux pas cop.

How did I miss those threads?

Well, after reading them all, the only thing I can say is that my dream isn't that weird after all!

T

On 2003-07-06 12:47, RevBambooBen wrote:
JT- you call/pitch Nissan yet? Holden thought it was a great idea too!

Working on it... do you think they'll give me a new Mobile Exploration Lab (AKA my 1994 Sentra), or should I just hit them up for some hubcaps?

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-09-07 21:02 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies