Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

when in thrift stores nothing sucks more than..

Pages: 1 7 replies

spoting and ancient looking tiki mug from afar ,and as you approach it .it, it, turns out to be another one of those god dammned samurai mugs, or even worse the "oriental Bear one"I dunno maybe this subject has been done before but since there are so many new members who cares? ok so are mugs like the Krarate punch, sumo or samurai flip( whichever),and countless asian themed others that are very similar in glazes and color finishes as other old tiki mugs, which in turn leads an amateur collector as myself to beleive they could be Tiki, but then again for some strange reason I usually pass them up on almost a weekly basis when doing ma usual tiki thrift shopping rounds. what's the deal with these mugs? does anyone here collect them? where the hella did they come from? I feel like these mugs sole purpose is to trick people like me from a distance.

Yeah, I see those mugs all the time! Many of them are marked Benihana because they use them for drinks. Not tiki at all however, some of them (buddha, geisha) were once manufactured by Orchids of Hawaii.

A couple of times I thought I spotted a Kahiki mug but both times they turned out to be "orchids of get fred's hopes up and tehn burst his bubble". You know the ones I'm talking about.

DZ

Yeah, I've got a whole set of those "Benihana" mugs. Eight different ones. I found 'em at a garage sale for 25-cents each.

I don't know what I was thinking...

Someday, when I'm $2.00 short on something, I know I'm really gonna regret that.

M

...I'd be glad to even find that...the thrift stores in Detroit are so infilitrated with antique dealers there's rarely anything there....

Matt

Hey all,

I once picked up a couple of those sumo-flip mugs at a flea market, and they may not be tiki - but they hold almost twice the liquid as the average tiki mug. They are also pretty well designed, and keep cold drinks really cold. They aren't pretty, but they get the job done.

Cheers.

Last month I passed on the white Buddha (you know, the one with the straw hole in his belly?) at the local thrift store. He was marked $2.00. I already have one, and it never really thrilled me to begin with. That being said, there are some cool Asian themed mugs that I would buy. There are some green mugs with raised relief Buddhas or Chinese dragons that are kind of cool.....

L
laney posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2003 12:00 PM

When in thrift stores, nothing sucks more than... seeing something really cool in someone elses hands! "Oh, if I'd only gotten here 5 minutes earlier!"

Pages: 1 7 replies