Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-29-13 May Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 29, 2013

On this week’s show we continued one of our regular monthly celebrations of the birthdays of just some of the superblatistic musical artists who slipped onto this mortal coil during the magneliquent month of may.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Hame Pila,” the 1928 song about playing string instruments and eating mullet, no kidding, was written by Charles Kaapa and recorded in 1937 by Lani McIntire and His Orchestra, and appearing on the bodacious Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand, featuring Birthday Boy George Kainapau on Ukulele.

2. “Cake Walking Babies (From Home),” the 1925 recording by Clarence Williams' Blue Five, featuring Eva Taylor on Vocal, Birthday Celebrant Sidney Bechet on Soprano Sax, Louis Armstrong on Cornet, Charlie Ivis on Trombone, Clarence Williams on Piano & Buddy Christian on Banjo, heard on the CD: Louis Armstrong – Ken Burns Jazz.

3. “Showboat Shuffle,” composed by Birthday Boy King Oliver and Barney Bigard heard in this 1927 recording, including King Oliver on Cornet, Barney Bigard on Clarinet, Lawson Buford on Tuba and Kid Ory on Trombone, from the collection: Riverside Blues.

4. “All the Jive Is Gone,” recorded in 1936 by our Birthday Honoree Andy Kirk & His Twelve Clouds of Joy,with Mr. Kirk on Baritone Sax, Birthday Girl Mary Lou Williams On Piano and Pha Terrell on Vocal, taken from the anthropogenic anthology: Marijuana Madness: The Best of Reefer Songs 1927-1947.

5. “Billie's Blues” (A/K/A “I Love My Man”), composed and sung by our Birthday Girl Billie Holiday, featuring Birthday Boy Artie Shaw on Clarinet, Bunny Berrigan on Trumpet, Dick McDonough on Acoustic Guitar, Joe Bushkin on Piano, Pete Peterson on Bass & Cozy Cole on Drums, taken from the righteous retrospective: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 2: 1936.

6. Down in Honky-Tonk Town,” the 1940 song including Birthday Boys Sidney Bechet on Clarinet and Zutty Singleton on Drums, along with Louis Armstrong on Trumpet, Claude Jones on Trombone, and Bernard Addison on Acoustic Guitar on Mr. Bechet’s auditory album: Perdido Street Blues.

7. “My Fate Is in Your Hands,” the composition by our Birthday Boy Fats Waller with lyrics by Andy Razaf, sung by May Birthday Celebrant Maxine Sullivan with Her All-Stars on her 1956 LP: Memories of You -- A Tribute to Andy Razaf, featuring Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Buster Bailey on Clarinet, Hilton Jefferson on Alto Sax, Dick Hyman on Piano & Organ, Milt Hinton on Bass, and Louis Burnam on Drums.

8. “I’ve Found a New Baby,” the 1926 song by Jack Palmer and Spencer Williams, performed in 1937 by Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra, featuring Birthday Boy Benny Goodman on Clarinet, Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Teddy Wilson on Piano, Lester Young on Tenor Sax and Jo Jones on Drums, and found on the Two-CD Set Swingin’ With Buck.

9. “It's Been a Long, Long Time,” by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn recorded in 1944 by our Birthday Boy Bing Crosby accompanied by the pioneering guitarist Les Paul & His Trio, including Paul Smith on Piano and Bob Meyer on Bass, taken from the copacetic collection: The Best of Les Paul: 20th Century Masters (Millennium Collection).

10. “I Can't Give You Anything but Love,” the song composed by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields for the Cotton Club Revue: Blackbirds of 1928, sung by our Birthday Girl and taken from her ransackable retrospective: Peggy Lee -- The Capitol Collectors Series, Volume 1 – The Early Years, featuring her husband and Birthday Boy Dave Barbour on Electric Guitar and Ray Wetzel on Trumpet.

11. “Top Hat, White Tie and Tails,” composed by our Birthday Celebrant Irving Berlin for the 1935 Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers Movie: Top Hat, sung here by Birthday Boy Fred Astaire on his 1952 LP: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings, with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

12. “Memories of You,” the song written by Eubie Blake & Andy Razaf for the Broadway show: Lew Leslie's Blackbirds of 1930, sung in 1955 by our Birthday Girl Rosemary Clooney on her anthemic anthology: Jazz Singer, featuring her fellow May Birthday Celebrant Benny Goodman on Clarinet and Dick Hyman on Piano.

13. “Open the Door,” the song composed and recorded in 1964 by our Birthday Honoree and appearing on the reissue of her 1965 LP: Inside Betty Carter, with Harold Mabern on Piano; Bob Cranshaw on Bass and Roy McCurdy on Drums.

14. “Mailbox Blues,” by Birthday Boy Taj Mahal and the Hula Blues Band from their 1998 CD: Sacred Island.

15. “Aloha Ku’u Pua” by Birthday Celebrant IZ (Israel Kamakawiwo’ole) from his album: In Dis Life.

16. “I Could Write a Book,” by our Birthday Boy Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers for the 1940 Broadway musical: Pal Joey, from the 1956 LP: Relaxin’ With the Miles Davis Quintet , featuring Birthday Honorees Miles Davis on Trumpet and Red Garland on Piano, along with John Coltrane on Tenor Sax, Paul Chambers on Bass and Philly Joe Jones on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies