Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

San Francisco trip

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha!!

I'm spending a week after The Hukilau-weekend in Oakland/San Francisco and was wondering if you guys might know some great places to visit or places that "must have been visited".

Some years ago I went to the Kona Club and Trad'r Sams. This time my friend is gonna take me to the Tonga Room and Smuggler's Cove. I'm really looking forward, But what more is worth seeing? Like restaurants, shops, record stores. Every hints is very appreciated. Also event and stuff like that.

Kind regards!

H
W

There is so much to see and do in SF! I live just south of the city and am always finding new things to do, new restaurants, etc. One restaurant that is my new favorite is called "Burma Superstar", on Clement and 3rd. Burmese food, very good! There is usually a line to get in, up to an hour wait, but it's worth it. Here is their website: http://www.burmasuperstar.com

Tonga room for sure, Smuggler's Cove, and there is another tiki bar in Alameda called Forbidden Island you could check out if you can get over there. For records, check out Ameoba on Haight St. Huge selection. Also, Valencia St. around 18th is pretty cool, lots of neat shops and restaurants.

Hope you have fun!

Forbidden Island - Alameda
Conga Lounge - Oakland (same owner owns Forbidden Island)
Kona Club - Oakland
Trader Vic's - Emeryville -- only remaining TV in Northern California

While you are in the area you should log onto http://sf.funcheap.com/ it will give you an idea of any non-tiki special events going on in and around the Bay Area

You can also pick up a free copy of SFWeekly or East Bay Weekly -- a newspaper that tells you all the events going on in SF or the Bay Area

Be sure to post a reminder on this board when you are in town if you are going to a tiki related establishment...I am sure you will have people willing to meet up with you for a cocktail or 2 :)

Emeryville Trader Vic's is a MUST!!!

I was in San Francisco at the end of October/beginning of November for a super quick visit. I didn't get to any tiki bars in the city itself :( but I did get to Trader Vic's Emeryville and Forbidden Island in Alemeda.

IMO, Forbidden Island is a must do!!! LOVED it! And Trader Vic's was great too. But if I had to choose only one it would be FI.

Have fun. I wish I had more time to spend in SF. Don't miss Alcatraz either. (That I was able to visit.)

+1 to the suggestions of Smugglers Cove, Trader Vic's and Burma Superstar.

For Tiki, there is also the Luau Lounge in Fisherman's Wharf. The drinks are decent, not great, but the view and decor are worth it (plus the Wharf is fun in general)

If you're interested in craft cocktails (of the non-tiki variety) I suggest Local Edition, Bourbon and Branch, Two Sisters Bar and Books and Alembic.

Also great for food and drink is Waterbar on the Embarcadero- it's pricey, but they do an amazing brunch and it's a great place to watch the lights on the bay bridge during the evenings.

Obviously Smuggler's Cove, and the Tonga Room. Alcatraz, Cable car up California. And Sears Fine Food for eats.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2013-06-25 05:35 ]

T

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't go to 826 Valencia, which is San Francisco's only independent pirate supply store! http://www.826valencia.org/store
Next door is Paxton Gate, which is also pretty awesome!
http://www.paxtongate.com

What are you interested in doing? Food? Bars? Sports/Outdoor activities?

The Ferry Building just off the Embarcadero is a nice place for lunch, also North Beach and the Grant Ave. shops
between Green St. & Vallejo St. just above all the restaurants in the North Beach area on Columbus Ave.

Stop for Tea in China Town (Red Blossom Tea Company)
"City Lights Books" (a famous book store) on Columbus Ave. near Broadway

North Beach, Grant Ave., China Town & City Lights are all in walking distance of each other.

Pages: 1 9 replies