Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fancy-ass juicer

Pages: 1 35 replies

T

Has anyone tried one of these juicers? http://amzn.com/B002XOB0P0

I have two, and they rock. Couple reasons:

1. Extra leverage is built-in with the design of the handle and the gears.
  2. As advertised, they extract up to 20 more juice than other hand-held juicers.
  3. They are sturdy -- not made of "pot metal" like the cheapy metal ones you see -- but some sort of very strong plastic. This was important to me because I have literally had a cheapy juicer break in half in my hand, and I was very lucky it didn't cut me. So I quickly added this to my gift wish list and was eventually given two. A couple years later I still love 'em. One is in my home bar, the other in my travel bar -- convenient.
  4. The capacity is larger than the cheapy hand-juicers - I can do all limes and many lemons. Large lemons can't be squeezed by hand in this device - jumbo fruits are what other types and sizes of juicers are still needed for.

I've seen these at Williams-Sonoma and other higher-end places for between $20 and $25. They come in colors (I have a black one and a green one) which is kinda cool. If you have the patience and the time, you should consider adding this to your Christmas or birthday gift wish list - it's an easy no-brainer for someone who wants to buy you something which you will really use.

Watch for imitations - it's only a matter of time before knock-offs show up out there. Stick with this brand, pay the extra money, and I think you will most likely be very happy.

T

I saw them yesterday at Sur la Table. They had three colors; green, yellow, and orange. The color corresponded with size, the orange being the largest. You might consider upgrading to yellow of you do a lot of lemons.

Very cool, I have not seen different sizes on the market before, so I'm thinking they had a lot of success with the first model squeezer and have now branched out to offering different sizes specific to various fruits. I'll look for them, and first, will measure the width of the squeezer I have.

Maybe they've stopped making my black squeezer, it's now a collectible, and I can sell it on eBay for millions!!!

I'm buying a lemon tree very soon. I just got a new Persian Lime and a new orange tree for my new home. I squeeze mostly limes for cocktails, and occasional lemons here-and-there. My oranges and grapefruit from the other house go through an electric juicer.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2013 1:34 PM

I got one for less than that at a kitchen store in Charleston and it has held up well. It is the go to now for small quantities. I feared I would break it and that has not happened.

"fancy ass juicer"

That's nice but what do you plan to do with all of the ass juice once you get it? :lol:

I was drawn to this thread by the title "ass juicer"
It got me curious, but I have to say after reading through it
I am a little disappointed......

HT

It warms my cockles to see so much joy from ass juice.

I thought this was going to be about pro cyclists...

T

Sorry to derail your thread :lol:

imagine if he had named it, "swanky-ass juicer"

We natives are restless today!

HT

On 2013-06-03 21:14, TikiTacky wrote:
http://xkcd.com/37/

Oh lord, Tiki Central has become the rest of the internet! Because on every thread on the internet, someone has an XKCD comic that references the subject.

Hahaha. Well played. And on that note, the oxford comma:

T

That's a sweet cartoon site! I've been following it for a while. Not much tiki there though...

HT

That's a beauty, tikiskip. I have a modern one that pales in comparison. And the hand juicers are nice if you have to make one, maybe two drinks. Beyond that, however, this is my go to:

http://goo.gl/a6WaI

This one, however, is what I REALLY want.

http://goo.gl/9KXFg

Make a batch of 10-20 painkillers and juice by hand, and you'll understand how important a motorized one is.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 9:48 AM

On 2013-06-04 09:06, Hale Tiki wrote:
That's a beauty, tikiskip. I have a modern one that pales in comparison. And the hand juicers are nice if you have to make one, maybe two drinks. Beyond that, however, this is my go to:

http://goo.gl/a6WaI

This one, however, is what I REALLY want.

http://goo.gl/9KXFg

Make a batch of 10-20 painkillers and juice by hand, and you'll understand how important a motorized one is.

For limes maybe, but for oranges, unless you actually want a pulp filled drink, no.

We were gifted an electric juicer. Used it once and went back to manual.

I use m y fancy aluminum crank juicer with smaller navel oranges and it works great.

S

Here is what I recommend for the big jobs. I got one similar at a thrift store for $10 and it has made life easier. Best for limes, but smaller navel oranges will work too.

S

Also, be sure if you do get an electric or other juicer it has the larger top or an attachment to make the top bigger to accommodate large oranges and grapefruit. If it just lime sized, it will make you crazy working with bigger fruit.

On 2013-06-04 10:04, Swanky wrote:
Here is what I recommend for the big jobs. I got one similar at a thrift store for $10 and it has made life easier. Best for limes, but smaller navel oranges will work too.

Link is borked. Try again?

Edit: Apparently Amazon sneezed and that made the link bork. Everything is full snozz now.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-06-04 20:54 ]

HT

Works for me (the link). And I don't have a problem with pulp with that particular juicer. Just set it to the no pulp setting. You juice it without the lid, then use the lid to really get the last of the juice from the pulp.

Maybe I'll have to make a video. I'm telling you, I swear by this over my hand press. Though the hand press is nice, and less annoying while entertaining.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-04 13:27 ]

KD

On 2013-06-04 10:04, Swanky wrote:

This used to be my go-to, until I lost the seed trap, rendering it useless. If only I could find a replacement... Since then however, I've switched to a CitriStar, and can't imagine anything beating a good electric reamer

-Longboard

[ Edited by: Longboard 2013-06-06 14:29 ]

I let that one go - it was just too easy to make some sort of follow-up remark!

I pity the future TC'er or Googler who runs into this thread for serious research purposes.

"Tiki Central... Let's not go there; it is a silly place."

Ha...

KD

Please, by all means, fire away! Reamer? Why I hardly know her!

dag, Ace, you chagrined Longboard into editing.

me, i'm pretty sure a bunch of mid-century tiki dudes would guffaw over this thread as well...

Just ran into the aforementioned "fancy-ass" juicer being sold at the Publix supermarket about a mile south of the Mai-Kai on US Federal Highway 1. Cost was $18.99 and they had it in several colors. I remember both yellow and white.

I think the white one is for cauliflower. I seem to remember hearing that the green one works well with broccoli.

I have both the "Fancy-Ass" juicer and another - a "Normal-Ass" juicer in stainless steel. Admittedly, the "Fancy-Ass" does extract slightly more juice, but you have to start it using two hands (Unless you're a Gorilla) and then get it to where you can use one hand as the extra ratchet mechanism forces the handles very far apart initially, but does allow extra pressure to extract slightly more juice from your lemmon or lime. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with both hand held juicers.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GENT

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2013-06-09 06:41 ]

Both require two hands - one to hold the tool and one to insert the lime and close the juicer. But on the fancy ratcheted tool you continue closing and begin squeezing the fruit all in the same motion. I also find it very helpful that the ratcheted tool has slightly larger handles than the other less-expensive versions. I agree that for squeezing small amounts of limes both tools work just fine, although I don't use the smaller versions at all anymore.

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough . . . with the "Fancy Ass" after inserting the lime half with one hand while holding the "Fancy Ass" with the other. . . it takes both hands to begin to squeeze the handles because they are too far apart for one hand. . . once you get it started using both hands, you can continue the action with one hand.

Does anyone have experience with this fancy-ass juicer? Its a KitchenAid attachment for their very powerful and top-end mixer.

It gets good and bad reviews on the KitchenAid site. I'm thinking of buying one and seeing how it goes for me since I'm pretty decent in the kitchen. This would be much easier to use and clean than any of my other juicers. And since my KitchenAid mixer is always on the top of my kitchen counter, it would be very handy. I'm expecting another bumper crop of limes from my tree this fall, so I'm thinking ahead. Thanks.

Chelsea got me one of the KitchenAid attachments a few weeks ago after we ended up with a surplus of limes that we needed to squeeze and freeze. My feelings are mixed on it. It's quick and powerful, and without too much effort pulverizes every imaginable bit of juice out of the fruit but man does it leave pulp behind! The built in trap isn't all that effective because much of the juice ends up rolling down the side of your hand and into your bowl or measuring cup, missing the screen altogether, so extra straining is required. I've got a nice mesh strainer that does the trick, but it is an extra step that makes the process seem more tedious than it needs to be. Maybe my technique just needs improvement but I managed to squeeze 90 ounces of lime in not that much time compared to a hand juicer or one I have exactly like this that I was using anytime I was making more than a few drinks at time:

Also, I've only done limes with the KitchenAid and not larger citrus so I don't know if lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc would be better or worse.

It is very easy to clean up.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-07-25 13:01 ]

Thanks Mike, you've echoed some of what I read online, especially about the pulp. Didn't see any reports about juice running down anyone's hand, but it makes sense that would happen. So, if I bought this, I'm thinking I would remove the built-in pulp strainer (I saw that for sale separately as a replacement part, so thinking that it pops out) and then put a sieve on top of my container and let the sieve do the straining. Or I would just make a ton of juice, and strain it separately later. I may go ahead and give it a try. What the hell - another experiment for my bar, right?

Thanks for answering. I'd love to hear from others on this as well. Then I'll post my results here too. I have a desire to try it and then also figure out how to overcome some of the problems.

Dang, those KitchenAid mixers rock! Got a refurbished "Pro 600" model on Overstock.com for about half the price of a new one, which, depending on which color you choose, is still way less than the price of a new basic home model. It looks and acts new, no scratches or dents or dings, just an all-around good deal. Can't beat that!

Yes, the pulp strainer is detachable. I ended up rigging mine where the sieve was sitting atop my measuring cup so the KitchenAid strainer would catch some of the pulp and my strainer would get the runoff. Still, I think every 16 ounces or so I'd have to rinse off the sieve so the juice could seep through easier. Like I said, I can't give a full endorsement but if you do get it, I'd be curious to see how it works for you.

We just recently got a Sam's Club membership and they had the bigger, pseudo-industrial mixers for like $250 which is an amazing price. Not sure if they're the Pro 600 model, but they're bigger than our standard one which is $300 most anywhere. This one has the mechanism where you can raise and lower the bowl. And they had some nice colors. We were tempted to upgrade.

I bought this, the Don Beach (which is to say the very best) of Citrus Juicers a couple months ago. I've always wanted this model, but at $200 it was just too expensive. I was shopping in a local Cincinnati area liquidation chain (Tuesday Morning) in May and found it on clearance for $35.00. I should've bought two of them. It's hands down the finest juicer that I've ever owned, effortlessly gets every last drop of juice out of the fruit.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-800CPXL-Stainless-Steel-Motorized-Citrus/dp/B00B5G92IO

Pages: 1 35 replies