Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Humored & funky cocktail zine/site

Pages: 1 3 replies

K

I'm working on starting up a cocktail zine to be called Potations - it will feature fiction and nonfiction - the fiction being about the business of bars and lounges and what goes on there and the nonfiction being about the business of bars and lounges and what goes on there!
There will be profiles on hip new and old and utterly unhip joints across the globe, interviews with bar owners and managers, with liquor makers, with famous and not so famous connoisseurs...
There will be a sexy centerfold... of that issue's signature drink...
And over time this little zine/website will develop a libary of amazingly good cocktails and the stories behind them or inspired by them...

I post about this here because I know there are a number of great writers here and folks in the publishing biz or related businesses - and I'm looking for partners in this hopefully low to nil overhead venture... and Potations will need friends all over the place to submit stories, news, and insights - friends just like the cast of tiki central...

What about the word "potation"?
Pronunciation: pO-'tA-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English potacioun, from Middle French potation, from Latin potation-, potatio act of drinking, from potare to drink -- more at POTABLE
Date: 15th century
1 : a usually alcoholic drink or brew
2 : the act or an instance of drinking or inhaling; also : the portion taken in one such act

...so it's an unusual much less used term for cocktail, and also relates to the activity of imbibing.. fitting for a discriminating and quirky artsy cocktail culture zine! Potations is also quite funny/clunky/funky sounding, which works for an artsy publication - if worth reading we'll need to have a sense of humor about ourselves and our subject. I think its a nice counterbalance to and commentary on the self consciously hip cocktail culture that's on the rise now, and will stand the test of time as it's much more easy to fall in love with a slightly self deprecating publication that a self aggrandizing one.

I hope this post has sparked interest among some on tiki central... or maybe you have a friend who'd be perfect for this and can tell them about it...

• contact me at [email protected] and we'll brainstorm and start putting Potations together...

Aloha!

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2002-06-30 09:36 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 1, 2002 7:07 AM

I'm afraid that when I saw the word "potation" I thought it had something to do with "potatoes." I looked at the image and wondered if that cup was made of a tater. Maybe "potent Potables" if Jeopardy doesn't have some rights to that phrase....

K

well i guess it does have to do with potatoes, since vodka is integral to a lot of cocktails.... maybe the logo should have a potato in a martini glass...
the plan we have written up is for a kooky zine, so i like the weirdness of the name

T

Then you could do a spinnoff zine about Tiki on the road and call it "Transpotation".

Ba-dum-bum.

Pages: 1 3 replies