Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pages: 1 6 replies

K

Aloha everyone. I'm just getting started on my first carving. I live on the island of Kauai. Ive been interested in doing this for some time and any tips would be very appreciated. Right now I only have a rubber malet and 4 chisels 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch. I cleaned a piece of wood yesterday approx 3 feet and not sure what kind of wood.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are well on your way to having your first tiki carved by you!

I'm sure you have plenty of inspiration (or distraction) surrounding you on Kauai!

Be sure to post some pictures over in Tiki Carving when you are all done and feel free to ask questions as you go along. There is some amazing talent in Tikicentral-land that would be happy to lend you a helping hand. Unless, of course, you already know what you are doing. In which case, get to making those chips fly so we can see the final product!

Have fun carving!

edit 'cause I said "craved" instead of "carved". May have worked the other way too....

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2013-06-14 12:51 ]

On 2013-06-14 11:55, Kunalu wrote:
Right now I only have a rubber malet and 4 chisels 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch. I cleaned a piece of wood yesterday approx 3 feet and not sure what kind of wood.

I suggest getting a 2" chisel also, if you're doing pieces in the 3' range or bigger. The basic Stanley brand at Home Depot.

Other advice? Just go for it! You have a log and some basic chisels and a mallet. You will learn way more by starting with just these basic tools than if you went and bought expensive fancy chisels, etc.
Keep your design simple! Two eyes, a nose, and a mouth. Build up from there on future tikis. Forget the flowers, turtles, or pineapples, at least until you're comfortable and competent.
Try different woods. Find what you like.

Have fun!

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2013-06-15 16:05 ]

K

Here's my first, got a bigger piece starting tomorrow

[ Edited by: Kunalu 2013-06-16 11:34 ]

[ Edited by: Kunalu 2013-06-16 16:17 ]

K

heres my first real piece in the works . its so addicting just cant stop .

K

Welcome to TC. You're first tikis are looking good. I'm learning too. I've learned a lot reading the Carving forums here.

Pages: 1 6 replies