Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

What router do you use?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I'm looking to carve some trim for my bar. I have only used a router a handful of times to round some edges on boards. I have a Makita 3612C router but it seems way to big to have long detailed "carving" sessions. I'm curious what the router of choice is for the guys that do a lot of this.

Read Monkeyman's "Router Carving Day" topic, it will give you some helpful information.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43357&forum=17

T

If I was to buy a new one this would be it.
High dollar though.
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/routers/

@Tikiskip which router on that page?

I sure wished there was a class like monkeyman's somewhere close to me...especially with a tiki emphasis. That would be awesome to get a hands on tutorial.

Its too bad one of the gurus here can't post a few youtube vids showing their technique.

It seems like with all the plunge routers it would be hard to see the lines. I may play with the big makita I have and see how it goes.

OF 1010 EQ Plunge Router - 574339
But go look at them, put one in your hand, see if it is a good fit for you.
These tools just seem to work well, easy locking levers, Plunge down smooth.
Plus the base is clear, so this would help you to see what you are carving.
AND it has a vac that takes away the wood you are cutting off.
But then it's a German made tool, so this is what one would expect from the people
that brings us Mercedes-Benz,ECT...

And it comes with a Mercedes-Benzesque price tag of $500.00 bucks I think.
I love tools.

Hi jimsflies,
i own the OF 1400 router. its a really great tool,high quality and it works very accurate.but as tikiskip said you gotta pay a lot of money for it and as long as you just use it for freehand imagerouting i wouldn`t pay so much, use the one you have.its usefull to buy one of these routers when you use the nice features that come along with the festool system.
but if you got some extra money to spend go for it,you will not regret it!

Pages: 1 5 replies