Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Frisco tiki hot spots needed!

Pages: 1 23 replies

Heading up north friday to check out what san fran has to offer in the ways of tiki.Need some local knowledge on the 2 best spots...you tell me.

[Edited by hanford to change the case of the subject]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-07-08 03:18 ]

the Mai Kai!

Tonga is definately one. 'Frisco has been discussed so many times here. You just don't want to do a search, do you?

I think Otto has a tour that he outlined. I printed it out from somewhere around here.

D

hey, call San Francisco "The City" or SF or just about anything other than the word that rhymes with crisco!

the natives are touchy..
elicia

On 2003-07-08 00:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
Tonga is definately one. 'Frisco has been discussed so many times here. You just don't want to do a search, do you?

TWT, you lazy bastard! I noticed that too! Use the SEARCH feature -- you'll find all the info you need.

C

Good advice Dogbytes, I remember the first time I said "Frisco" in front of some S.F. locals. They damn near chased me back to L.A..
Have a good trip TWT. You bikin up? If passing thru Santa Cruz let me know and I will set you up with a drink and a killer view of the beach.
Chongolio

M

tHE NEW "hooters" on Fisherman's Wharf and the In and Out Burger across the street!

----oh, aorry, that must have been casued by a mid-life crisis!

the "frisco" name WAS used to rile the natives!. Every time I would go to see the folks in petaluma, I would call and state when I entered "frisco" and they would always bitch up a storm (old hippies).Now for anyone who takes this to the heart, when the hells angels change there original FRISCO rocker patches in for a more p.c. name......I will change!.think of it,"hells angels, city of lights chapter"...yea.And as far as searches go....they are not always current....but I will try.thank you.

UB

When you got Hanford editing your post, then you have seeked the "wrath of the gods".
Super Bikes Dude!

B
boingo posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2003 3:15 PM

I love the Tonga Room (SF) and Trader Vic's (across the bay in Emeryville)- both old school Tiki hangouts, but be warned, they have both lost alot of their "coolness". Both have very expensive drinks and play sports on a large TV screen. The former has a resident band that is just plain awful.

My favorite Tiki bar right now, is a little place in Oakland called The Conga Lounge. I was not around to experience the original Trader Vic's, but this is what I would imagine it was like. Small, with awesome drinks and a great vibe. The address is 5422 College Avenue and is very near the Rockridge Bart station (on the yellow line from SF)

D

On 2003-07-08 10:53, mrsmiley wrote:
tHE NEW "hooters" on Fisherman's Wharf and the In and Out Burger across the street!

and the Joe's Crab Shack...and Rainforest Cafe..i know the Wharf is a tourist trap, but egads ~ it should be different than a shopping mall!

elicia

tisk x3!, too many CAPS!!!!!!!!, sorry hanford. I forgot about that dreadful cap hazing thing that happened in soccer camp....can you sit yet?(just kidding)

True, it's a pet peeve for me, but oh well, as long as it's not happening left and right I can tollerate (and fix) the occasional slip up. You're still good in my book, TWT!

~Hanford

YEEEEEEEEEE Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww,

I think i found a hidden tiki bar in OC called sammies hidden tiki fish house. they have a harley night. i bring my sportster and my chaps.....what the hell, read man, read. WTF!!!

LOVE,

not me

S

How about nice, but reasonable logding (cheap?) somewhere near the Tonga Room?
My Wahine and I will be visiting the bay area in a couple weeks, and could use some suggestions.

Hey Seamus, You bringing any of your concrete friends with you? I would be stoked to hook up with you at the Tonga Room and pick one up and save on the shipping. Sorry, I am no help with the lodging question, I don't get into the city that often.
Chongolio

Hey Seamus,I don't know how near the Cow Hollow Inn is to the Tonga Room but we stayed there in March for the Crawl. Nice and clean. You might as well figure on taking some sort of mass transportation while you're there, it's crazy. Take a bus and kick back, no worries, no problem parking etc.

S

Hey Chongolia!
As a matter of fact I am carting some of those concrete boys w/ me. Someone else had the same Idea, and we haven't settled on whether to meet at the Tonga or TVics. Shoot me an Email and let me know what you're interested in and we'll see if I can accommodate your wishes. I've been working alot lately so my inventory is getting low.
Seamus

D

On 2003-07-10 16:58, seamus wrote:
How about nice, but reasonable logding (cheap?) somewhere near the Tonga Room?

my aunt owns the Capri Motel on Greenwich, its clean, and unintentionally retro (ok, that means, its old, but kept up well, note: no a/c!!!) ~ i cant get you a discount, but their regular rates are cheap, PLUS, they have free parking.

elicia

S

Thanks friends, I'll take note and check 'em out. Free parking is good. And I love unintentional retro! As far as traffic goes, everywhere is crazy compared to my one traffic light town!

T

This web site is a good one which covers most of the hotels in the city.

http://www.sftravel.com/lodge.html

Select the Union Square link on the home page - any of these hotels are an easy walk from the Tonga Room (well, in some cases a short but steep walk but cable cars run right past the Fairmont Hotel). There are several that are around $100 or less a night.

The Hotel Cosmo is around $100 and very nice:

http://www.sftravel.com/hotels/unionsq/bedfordclarion.html

An alternative area that's pretty close to the Tonga (a good walk but not too expensive by cab) and in an area with plenty to do is North Beach. In that neighborhood is this nice looking 50s era motel that I stayed in once and liked. It's a motor lodge so it's good if you're driving and it's right on the border of Chinatown and North Beach. The rooms are in ugly pastels but comfortable.

http://www.royalpacific.citysearch.com/

There are also many motels on 101 (Lombard Street) but these are pretty far from the Tonga. Click on Marina Hotels to see these. The Motel Capri and Marina Motel are classics.

T

One more, the Commodore. Great location, very close to Tonga Room, popular bar in hotel (Red Room), moderate rates ($80-90).

http://www.sftravel.com/hotels/unionsq/commodore.html

T

Hey, Seamus, I'd like to peruse the concrete tikis when you're in town, too. What days are you here? I'm traveling a lot in the next couple weeks so I hope I don't miss you.

S

Tiki-bot - We're shooting for Saturday the 19th (july)and heading back to Sacto sunday. We'll be around Sac from the 15th to about the 25th.check my site and let me know what you're looking for.

Thanks thejab for the extensive list, it helps knowing which district to look in.
Seamus

Pages: 1 23 replies