Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Alright...here goes...the Witco

Pages: 1 4 replies

I'm in need of a New Guinea artifact fix again...so I'm putting a big one up; one that has hung in the Kon Tiki Paradise room for a long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3232573655&category=29460&rd=1

This one ends tonight..wish me luck! This one was tough to lay on the altar, but hopefully the Kon Tiki Paradise Room will gain some more artifacts as a result :wink:

What kind of PNG artefacts are you interested in? I'm an avid collector of Sepik and Highland carvings and would love to see more and to maybe trade things. Old PNG objects pop up every now and then at auctions here in Switzerland and if I know what you're looking for I could bid for you one or the other thing. I'm also planning a trip there next year. Let's keep in touch.

You'd better bring a couple of large suitcases! I have seen photographs of 20 x 40 foot containers literally packed tight (and I mean no wrapping on anything tight) with THOUSANDS of carvings. An artifact that costs $200.00 by the time it gets to the U.S. costs about $15.00 in New Guinea.

I have seen these pictures, looks kind of scary. But then again, there is a lot of tourist airport quality that is just really poor. But there are still very good carvers around and they fetch the higher prices. What makes the price is the transport cost. On the Sepik fuel is extremely expensive and when they go and collect around the villages that cannot be reached by car, that adds up. Do you also get older material that was collected in the 50ies and 60ies where you purchased your artefacts? Do you purchase them from one of the online merchands? I did recently and am still waiting for a canoe prow that should be shipped one of these days.

Pages: 1 4 replies