Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Metal Flake, Glitter and Metalic paint

Pages: 1 23 replies

C

like any good debate, this one has inspired me. Whereas it may inspire others to criticize, it has inspired me to create. You choose which is the nobler calling. So I made this. I mean, its in a frame and everything, so it HAS to be "art"... right? Although I did paint the frame metallic blue and it did do it over a gold metal flake background... so I guess some snobs wont call it "art"... but hey, thats OK too... actually, art is supposed to inspire and what it inspires is up to the viewer, so if it inspires hate and scorn in some, that must mean its doing its job and really is "ART" huh? :P

this is just the first of many. More colors, more designs to come. But for right now, there is rum to be drank and then I'm off to bed. More by the afternoon on Monday. :D

wait until you see it in the sunlight... the metal flake REALLY catches the light and makes the 'art' come alive.

[ Edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 21:15 ]

That would look awesome on a Tiki Lowrider :wink:

So I am here to officially question your taste
but with out bad there is no good, so have at it.

C

yeah we should stick to GOOD tiki art... like birds from south america singing in a german accent (the enchanted tiki room)... THAT is "good" tiki art!!!!

using paint with metal flake in it is right out.

you've got the aloha spirit!!! Put people down and drive them away... thats what this forum needs MORE of!!!

[ Edited by: Choptop 2013-07-08 06:24 ]

HT

Easy man. You seem to be getting more upset about this than anyone. Have a mai tai, relax.

Your reaction to go make glitter tiki art though? Fantastic. Really funny, actually.

Getting back to that other post, though I don't know how I feel about crossing threads (never cross the streams), I think that the general poor reaction to it was taking work that someone else did here on TC (Doug Horne for Smokintikis), and slathering it with glitter. Or the bad import masks (which have helped to dilute "tiki").

You wouldn't go to a place like the H.A.M.B. with an early 90's Ford converted to a 1950 with tons of billet and expect everyone to be happy about it would you? Or to the Jockey Journal with a Knucklehead that you threw Hayabusa tanks on. Do you think people there would be nice about either of those?

I rest my case.

(Side note, do you remember those? I can't find an example anywhere on the net, but I remember about 10 years ago you could buy the front and rear clips to a 1950 ford that were meant to be strapped onto a modern car. What the hell were those called?)

HT

Like this! But this was way better than any one I ever saw:

http://jordanmorningstarblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/johns-1990-identity-crisis-thunderbird/

Choptop ... I grew up in the 50s and 60s and was around what was tiki culture at that time. I think your glitter tiki is very retro and would have been a prized possession of any tiki decor lover back then. It is a super fun and clever. Keep the creativity and imagination going strong ..... Gene

C

Still more comin...

Untitled by Choptop32, on Flickr

[ Edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:09 ]

C

Van artwork by Jeff Alison, tiki's and metal flake added by me.

[ Edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:08 ]

Save the images and repost them if you can. I can't see the Flickr images. :)

C

larger (8x10) version of the 2nd tiki done as just a knock out (no tinting). great metallic green color on the frame. One of my faves... will be using it again.

[ Edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:09 ]

S

I can't see the images either Choptop.

C

there... that should do it.

P

Bitchin' van.
Good choice, it fits the metal flake idea and gives off a strong Kustom vibe.

The idea's starting to grow on me because it's so over the top.

If you had some black 'flake, you might be able to get that crazy glow effect like they do on black velvet.

C

got black flake... would have to do a different process though. Thinking some bright pink over the black. I've got a pic of some white pinstriping in a green frame over black flake... will have to post that up.

Glitter metalic flake paint! Awesome! I dig it!!!

H

I am really liking the concept of glitter tiki art. Would like to see more of your artwork.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 22, 2013 4:22 AM

Glitter is what you use in kids craft. Metalflake is what you use in lowbrow art. This stuff looks great! if you don't mind me asking, whats your process of painting the tikis and then painting the flake?

S

i love it! trying to do one as we speak - will post pics when done - mine's going to have a more hot rod vibe, and if it pans out, going for the tiki look

Chop, if you don't mind me asking, what paint did you use for the frame? is it the Big Daddy Roth candy paint?

S

here's the one I did - not tiki, but old school street rod - tiki one is next

On 2014-03-29 18:01, stevekh wrote:
here's the one I did - not tiki, but old school street rod - tiki one is next

I love this!

Be sure to share the tiki one you do too!

S

here's the small tiki - a 5x7 - now i have a picture of the kids on my desk!

On 2014-04-01 07:26, stevekh wrote:

Really cool! Is it a long process to make these type of paintings?

S

On 2014-04-01 10:57, SandraDee wrote:

On 2014-04-01 07:26, stevekh wrote:

Really cool! Is it a long process to make these type of paintings?

not really - after i got the first one figured out - there's probably 4-5 hours in a bigger one, 2-3 in the smaller ones

Pages: 1 23 replies