Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trader Vic's BBQ on the Bay! - (07/26/13)

Pages: 1 8 replies

We're celebrating summer with a BBQ on the Bay! Join us Friday, July 26th for a delicious spread and music by DJ Otto.

Reserve your spot today: (510) 653-3400

[ Edited by: TraderVicsBay 2013-07-08 10:41 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed title. - 2013-07-09 10:40 ]

Yum! FYI, the date in the title is mislisted

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jul 9, 2013 11:52 PM

I am officially taking requests for musical selections while you imbibe!!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Jul 17, 2013 9:24 PM

This event has been cancelled due to lack of pre-sale tix.

Please let us know what you think.
How much would you pay for a BBQ at Trader Vic's?
How much would you pay for a dinner?
Buffet?

Would a dining event interest you or something else like free appetizers and cocktails?

Or just cocktails, maybe at a reduced price?

Sorry to hear the event got cancelled but I am sure there will be another event in the future to replace it.

Personally speaking I rarely go to TV's luaus only because I prefer cocktails/appetizers versus a sit down dinner when I am there. I think in the past 2 years I have only eaten a full meal there twice--both when I had guests in from out of town and that pales in comparison to the 60 or so times I have been there just for drinks.

If they did an extended cocktail hour type evening with happy hour pricing and advertised it as a special event I am sure there would be more interest. Not sure how it would work to buy tickets but maybe prepaying gave you a set number of drinks/apps or you could prepay to get cheaper pricing for just that night.

I wanted to go to this but the timing wasn't right for me. However, since you asked, on a Friday night I'd prefer appetizers and I'd pay $20-25 appetizers (passed would be better than a buffet), drinks wouldn't need to be happy hour pricing for me, I'd pay the full-freight on that count.

This sounded like a lot of fun, but I suppose I could see how the price tag may have scared some people off. We had only just heard about the event and decided last night (before hearing news of the canceling of the event that we just heard about) that we wanted to go. :(

I frequently patronize Trader Vic's Emeryville, both the restaurant and lounge/bar. I usually go several times a month but have been to only one luau. When I'm spending $50/person before drinks I prefer to order from the restaurant menu and get exactly what I want, plus I can take any "left overs" home which can't be done for an "all you can eat" event.

Special event or not, I encourage everyone to dine in the restaurant and get the full Trader Vic's experience. All the food is excellent but I especially like anything from the Chinese ovens. The beef tenderloin is my favorite as it melts in my mouth. With a good meal under your belt you can imbibe even more of their wonderful exotic libations.

I

For a buffet style meal: $30-40 including one Mai Tai seems like a fair price point. The farewell luau at TV Palo Alto was a good example.

$50 a head with no drinks as a "sit down meal" is a special occasion amount of money to spend and I don't feel that it works for a DJ event. TV typically has solid food and I have/would spend that amount of money on a date when I can choose what I am eating/keep my leftovers. I have passed over several of TV's prix fixe style events because the cost of entry is too high and/or the limited choices weren't to my liking.

Our typical trip to TV's is 3 drinks a piece at the bar and share some appetizers to keep costs down. That usually runs us a tab of $100+ with tax and tip already and the thought of adding another $100 to that scared me out of going.

Pages: 1 8 replies