Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Blue Mai Kai Decanter ?? only 50??

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi all......just noticed that a Blue Mai Kai Decanter is on eBay and I was wonder if anyone knows the story on it?? The auction states that only 50 of these where made! Is that true? Was this for the Huki Lau 2003? Did any of you get one?? Was this a numbered edition? Just wondering what the story is on this one! Looks like a good one to have in the collection!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3232554653&category=29460

Thanks,
Steve

[ Edited by: voodootiki on 2003-07-08 13:53 ]

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2003 2:13 PM

Voodootiki,
The eBay write up looks pretty accurate. Smogbreather will have the exact details, but 50 were made and 45 made to the Mai Kai intact. The ones on the premises did sell out quickly (before I could even figure out where the gift shop was). I was told by the Mai Kai gift shop lady that Tiki Farm was going to make another 5 to replace the ones broken in transit. I sure hope so, because I filled out a form to get one of the replacements. I hadn't checked back w/ the Mai Kai, but now that you mention it...

-JTD

I was just checking out Tiki Farm's site and I was surprised that the special edition Blue Mai Kai Decanter is not even mentioned. There is a picture of the Green one but nothing is said about the Blue one. I guess it must have been a small private edition done specifically for the Huki Lau 2003! Very cool looking!

Steve

P

JDT is right… I too check out the link.... the description and picture are accurate but doesn't do it justice.... I was lucky enough to snag one at Mai Kai… As I understand it.. (anyone correct me if I’m wrong)… There were supposed to be 50 produced, but 5 didn’t make it in transit… #1 was sold in the auction, and #50 was kept by Mai Kai… that left only 43 to the public… of those a few went to VIP’s for the event… there were only about 25 available by the time the show rolled around…. Mai Kai had close to 900 seats booked for the 3 shows that night…. They were sold out within 5 minutes of the gift shop opening…. If I had to guess this may be one of the rarest Tiki Farm pieces… Forgetting all that for a minute… the decanter is un-freaking-believable…. I bought one blue and one green… the cobalt blue color is very deep and rich… and the green one ain’t to shabby either… The green one is the general production… but I think you can only get it at Mai Kai… I have them on my shelf with the 2 Hukilau/Mai Kai mugs from the dinner show… Well that’s all I know….. really

I got one...It's a very nice looking decanter; due to the memories we have of Hukilau I wouldn't part with it for the world.I can't understand why anyone else would...I am now looking for a vintage one!

I got 18/50. (And paid for it too! Even though I room, party and raise hell with Mr. H, biz is biz!) It IS an awesome piece. Brings back fond memories! I suggest you pick one up any way you can. A little bird landed on my shoulder and told me they are going to get better and better from this one to 2006. Collect them all and you will be stoked!

I have the coolest Mai Kai Blue Decanter story...Shortly after the gift shop opened on that Saturday I popped into the gift shop after getting our table. The guy in front of me actually bought the last one from the shelf and I was really bumming bad. Hazel the manager of the gift shop said that there would be 5 more coming and she would take my name down for one. I declined saying that I really like to just buy one on the spot. Anyway, I get back to my table and ordered the Hukilau 2003 tiki mug and the pu pu platter. After about 15 minutes a girl that was working behind the counter at the gift shop came up to me and asked if I still wanted that Blue Decanter and I said "WHAT! I thought they were sold out"? She said that they had found one in the back room and that she recognized my shirt and proceeded to locate me. I couldn't believe it. I said do you know how many people have Hawaiian shirts on in here? and she said yes but that she recognized mine. I was dumbfounded. All I could say was "show me". We proceeded to walk back to the gift shop and lo and behold there it was. It was like that moment in Wayne's World when he looked upon that guitar in the glass case. I swear I heard the Tiki Gods singing as I inspected it and then promptly paid my $45. I went back to my table with the biggest smile I ever had. It was a night I will never forget.

Jeff

S

There is also the "Monkey Px" Decanter that is ultra-rare! It seems one of the blue decanters fired poorly and had all these dots on it. I don't think it was sold. In fact, I never got to see it. Some thought it off, others cool. What will become of the 1 of a kind "Monkey Pox" Mai Kai Decanter?

On 2003-07-08 22:25, Jeff Central wrote:
After about 15 minutes a girl that was working behind the counter at the gift shop came up to me and asked if I still wanted that Blue Decanter

Errr......that makes the seller's claim that they were all sold out within 5 minutes somewhat redundant...

Nice score Jeff!

Trader Woody

T

On 2003-07-08 21:56, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I got one...It's a very nice looking decanter; due to the memories we have of Hukilau I wouldn't part with it for the world.I can't understand why anyone else would...I am now looking for a vintage one!

I gotta agree with you there BK! It certainly holds some fond memories, and alot of rum! :wink: By the way mahalo again PT, you ROCK bruddah! I'm on the water ice for you!

P

On 2003-07-09 14:08, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2003-07-08 22:25, Jeff Central wrote:
After about 15 minutes a girl that was working behind the counter at the gift shop came up to me and asked if I still wanted that Blue Decanter

Errr......that makes the seller's claim that they were all sold out within 5 minutes somewhat redundant...

Nice score Jeff!

Trader Woody

I don't think reduntant is the word your looking for Woody...

re·dun·dant adj.
Needlessly wordy or repetitive in expression

Since the seller's description predates this topic, it can not logically be considered redundant in relation to Jeff's quote, and awesome score.

IMHO Jeff's story only validate the sellers claim...

Mahalo "Mugs" ... Make it a lemon -J

[ Edited by: PT-Tiki on 2003-07-10 16:49 ]

P

Wow already up to $150.00.... any guess' what it will go for?... I'm hoping $200+.. makes mine all the more valuable...
yea baby!!!

Pages: 1 11 replies