Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Bought 2 Leetegs - need to sell one - PICTS & DETAILS NOW UP

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hey gang need help on this one. It was a two or nothing deal and the price was right for one but I couldn't afford both so I was thinking of you TCers who might want to buy the other one. For me it's a dream come true to own one but I know I can't own two. I don't know a lot about buying or selling Leetegs but I don't want to burn anyone and I hope I didn't burn myself. Any way I should get them by the end of this week and I will get more details to you all but for now what I bought was 2 of the smaller size about 14in by 18in (I'll measure and post photos when I get them) paintings. I saw them briefly but honestly I didn't know what to look for until I got on the internet when I got home. They both had a "Davis" sticker on the back and koa wood framed and definitely black velvet. I did not set out to buy a Leeteg this morning I went to sell stuff from my resent departed Mother and low a behold I was told two Leeteg were in the back and I had to see them. The seller said he would lower the price if I bought both, I couldn't afford it, he lowered the price one more time and I thought if I sell one immediately I can buy one AND save my marriage. So here I am with my ignorance. I've seen a couple of Leetegs before but they looked faded. What tempted me the most was that the colors are still pretty good (again I'll show you pics shortly) I learned that Leeteg did do copies of his own work and I've seen two other "Man with an Adze" like this one pictured below which is one of the paintings:

Couple of classic art websites said that since Leeteg painted them and signed them, they are considered original works even though the subject mater was not original. I would blame his Hawaii partner Davis and his marketing on the idea of these copies. There were no art printing machines like today so Leeteg had to make copies the good old fashion way by his god given talent. The other painting is a smiling tahine in a full (red sarong with white print like he always uses) (sorry not topless) she's stepping out of a small boat or canoe, can't find it on web so it MIGHT be the only one of it's kind or there are only a few of them. "Adze Man" was one of the popular ones. The second painting looks something like this one but in a different pose. Definitely the same model:

Any way looking for a partner in a way, $1,250.00 to start for the Tahine painting, I'll keep "Adze Man". Pricing Leetegs on the web was very difficult, most were for thousands so I'll start on what I paid for it and let you guys fight it out. Don't expect the fight to start until I post some picks after I receive them and hopfully you guys don't tell me they're fakes. Hope what I'm doing is correct for this Marketplace because the rules page wouldn't open. I guess people could always PM me. Anyone interested?

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-15 23:34 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-15 23:37 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-19 18:31 ]

Ok they arrived this morning. I love them despite some imperfections...

What is for sale is this "Smiling Tahine Throwing Net" my title

...which I'll gladly disclose now with picts.
only damage to the velvet itself (small hole far left)

Paint scratches on legs

Paint scratches on mid torso

Paint scratches on face

Lastly black dot on each arm not scratches but normal wear and tear paint chips
and normal cracking of paint. I'm green when it comes to buying paintings, My
big armature eyes at first saw only the first two shots of the painting on the
whole not close up details. But you must agree in a dark tiki bar with eyes 5
feet away people will also see just a gorgeous Leeteg painting with great colors.
If you see like me you will see beauty.

Usually people post eBay bidding on this Marketplace but I want to offer this to
Tiki Central members who can use the PM feature. This "Smiling Tahine Throwing Net"
(my name) will be on sale till midnight PST (Pacific Standard Time) this Sunday night (7/21/13).
May the highest bidder win. I will reply (via personal message) couple times a day
but Sunday night I will reply as fast as I can between 9pm to Midnight (PST) if you
are or are not the highest bidder and nothing more. I will use the PM message time
stamp and order in which a PM with a bid is received for proof that one won or went
over midnight with screen captures if they are any disputes. Payment is immediate, any
excuse will not count (can you wait for my next pay day? sort of excuse will disqualify
you and I go with the bidder right before you). One can pay by money order, bank certified
or registered check or via PayPal. Minimum bid is $1225.00 U.S. or I will take a lost. If
no one here can meet that minimum bid this painting will go on eBay to the general worldwide
public for bidding with a shipping price. For TCers I will pay insured shipping for North
American addresses. Everyone else there will be a $100.00 U.S. charge minimum for insured
shipping and I will pay the difference.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-19 18:31 ]

As requested another part of painting

Two pictures closer of above

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-07-20 22:54 ]

I am confused .Is the girl rowing the canoe in the first photo the actual
velvet for sale ,or the girl throwing the net ? The girl throwing net is
a copy in poor condition at best and it is a Barney Davis authorized copy .

I though Barney Davis marked his copies under the signature?

Pages: 1 4 replies