Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Quest for the Key

Pages: 1 9 replies

I am hoping some of you encyclopedic tikiphiles can help me locate/identify a work of art I stumbled upon recently, but have been unable to find again. It depicts a woman on either a mod couch or ottoman looking alluring whilest dangling a key. I feel that it is likely the work of Shag, Doug Horne, or Tiki Shark (I know, distinctive styles, but my memory is just hazy enough that I think it could be any of them). The content really encapsulated for me that mysterious allure to which Tiki may entice us to submit. Mahalo!

Sounds like Shag. I don't know the painting though.

Yup. Shag has lots of ladies on couches In his works.

Jeff btd

This one? If so its called "The Key to the Carrera"

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2013-07-16 15:46 ]

J

FYI, that's Tura Satana of "Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill" fame.

She also danced burlesque in a Tiki bar and partied at FI.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 24, 2013 8:42 PM

There's THIS Doug Horne piece, but she's not dangling a key.

A flaming tiki drink is a key to an interesting night.
:o

Jeff btd

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2013-07-24 22:13 ]

A

There may be dozens of lounging-girl-with-key compositions that don't match what you're looking for. Shag's "The Distraught Tiki" below is probably one of them, especially considering there's no mod couch...

-Randy

why is that tiki crying?

have you ever seen a moai weep?

That's it, aquarj! Thanks so much. I was really starting to question my memory (which is rightly questionable to be sure). I kept thinking, maybe the "Key to the Carerra" really was what I was remembering - I had seen it before so I was thinking maybe I was just mis-remembering, but couldn't shake the idea that it was more green or blue in tone. Alas, you have found exactly the one I had in mind and identified its name, too - yay! Admittedly, my description was off - not dangling the key exactly and not a mod couch. Grog, that Doug Horne is among my favorites and may have been influencing my memory of the mod couch. Thanks everyone for helping out. This place is amazing. Your collective knowledge of all things tiki is remarkable and why I enjoy reading these boards so much. Mahalo!

Pages: 1 9 replies