Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Authentic Tiki Bar Music

Pages: 1 6 replies

B
b1bob posted on Wed, Jul 17, 2013 6:54 PM

I am new to Tiki. I recently purchased "Authentic Tiki Bar Music" by the Hit Crew. The CD consists of Ukelele instrumentals. I have been unable to find out who the performers are on the CD. Does anyone know who they are or if there are any similar CD's out there. I also purchased "Original Tiki Bar Party Music" by the Hit Crew. This one was horrible and not what I am looking for. Thanks!

Search Tiki Central for "Exotica" to start....

HT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew's_Entertainment

Do yourself a favor and spend a few hours reading through the forum. You'll find all sorts of amazing music.

Okole maluna!

With this nifty little compilation, you are not only introduced to the key players of "Tiki Bar Music"...

...but a 50 page booklet will introduce you to each tracks' connection to Tiki style...

...thus offering insights into varied aspects of this mid-century pop culture phenomenon :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX-Sfu-I_0

B
b1bob posted on Sat, Jul 20, 2013 2:46 PM

When you say "Tiki Bar Music" are you making a general statement about Tiki bar music or are referring specifically to the CD "Authentic Tiki Bar Music" by the Hit Crew which is entirely ukulele instrumentals. I appreciate all the advice from everyone above but I have quite a bit of Exotica and enjoy it but I am looking for specific info about this CD or at least its style (pure ukulele instrumental). Thanks!

K

If you're looking for instrumental ukulele music in a "Hawaiian-Tiki" idiom, you might like CDs by Herb Ohta, Jr. & Ohta-San. The father (Ohta-San) recorded in the LP vinyl era, but a fair amount of his material has been issued on CD. The son (Herb Ohta Jr.) does much the same style. You might also like "Golden Hawaiian Hits" by Duke Kamoku & His Islanders on CD...a fair amount of ukulele on that, with steel guitars, etc.

B
b1bob posted on Sat, Jul 20, 2013 5:25 PM

I'll check it out, thanks!

Pages: 1 6 replies