Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Buying rum online from Jamaica?

Pages: 1 11 replies

D

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any places that worked for you?

I've had great success with drinkupny.com online here in the US. And for a really interesting experience, I've ordered some very unique stuff through Germany from worldwidespirits.de.

I'm not sure how the laws where you live might affect online ordering, but I'm not sure that all of the online liquor retailers actually monitor and follow the laws. I've never ordered anything that was prohibited that I'm aware of. But I do toy with the idea of buying Cuban rums from overseas resellers.... Hmmm...

In any case, I think a quick Google search will yield quite a number of online resellers who may be able to ship to you. I'm just not sure how local laws are monitored by these businesses. Some locales are very restrictive in what you can ship to your home.

T

That German site is pretty interesting!

Zacapa 15 for one thing. Preferable to the 23 IMHO.

Jack

I'm not sure about ordering Cuban goods through other countries, obviously not legal but I have a feeling they will inspect the shipment regardless of the contents.

For example if you are ordering Absinthe (which is legal here) that had a thujone content of over 10 ppm, it most likely would be seized unless it was a brand that was also sold here and there was no clear difference that you weren't shipping one that was in line with domestic regulations.

That being said, I am not sure what their inspection rate is on liquor, so it would be up to you if you want to risk the penalties.

D

Ace, I've bought from most of the big online US retailers. What I had in mind was sites actually in Jamaica. I'd like to get some rums that aren't distributed in the US. (Not Cubans.)

Sometimes it is easier to work backwards when it comes to buying. I do this with wine, do a search on places that sell a specific brand/version of the rum you are looking for, such as the 50 year old Appleton Estate rum, and go from there.

One caveat, this probably doesn't apply to you since you've done it before, is that individual states may have specific laws regarding purchasing alcohol online and may add taxes onto it.

I think we need policy reform to restrict youth access to alcohol online,Very little policy attention has been given to this industry compared to the Internet tobacco industry.

Hey Kevin, what stupid lobbying group do you work for? We are already annoyed at not being able to have booze delivered without a signature. Is this some new cause of yours or are you working for some company (Bevmo?) that finds the tiny amount of online alcohol sales that occur to be limiting profits? I can't think of a single company selling alcohol online that does not require an adult signature.

And that's exactly how kids get alcohol: Dude, let's go online and over-pay way too much for booze and then wait a couple of days for it to be delivered! Awesome! So much much easier than slipping a person of loose moral character some money to buy something at the local liquor store.

On 2013-07-23 09:21, TikiHardBop wrote:
And that's exactly how kids get alcohol: Dude, let's go online and over-pay way too much for booze and then wait a couple of days for it to be delivered! Awesome! So much much easier than slipping a person of loose moral character some money to buy something at the local liquor store.

"And that's how kids get alcohol?" From who exactly? What delivery company allows alcohol companies to mail alcohol without a signature at pickup? Not UPS. Not any of the smaller companies such as the one Hi Times uses. Not the postal service. Why does there need to be more regulation?

That was sarcasm. I agree with you!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jul 24, 2013 5:36 PM

I've ordered online from Jamaica and early on had success.
The last two shipments were seized and I ended up picking up empty open boxes covered in yellow seizure tape with the
federal paperwork attached which would give me a process to attempt to get my illegal hooch returned.
It's all about the taxes... The government could care less what booze you're bringing in but does care that you are avoiding the alcohol taxes due them.
My source in Jamaica quit sending to the U.S. they said that every shipment was being intercepted now and it was not worth it.

Pages: 1 11 replies