Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Heiau Ki'i (Tikis) just put up in Poipu, Kauai!

Pages: 1 10 replies

Four large Tikis were erected yesterday at the corner of a heiau in Poipu yesterday. A heiau is a Hawaiian temple.
This heiau, like most, is in ruins, but perhaps it is going to be restored.
They built a long massive lava rock wall bordering the road, ending at the intersection in a square rock platform. Set in the platform are the four Tikis, apparently facing towards the four compass points.
This is on the southeast corner of the intersection of Poipu Rd and Hoowili Rd, which is sort of 'behind' Brennecke's Broiler if you know the area.

Each has Ti leaf plants tied on, from the ceremony yesterday.

I couldn't get good shots of these two, as the morning sun was behind them. I'll go back at a better hour.

The sign in front.

I hope to find out details about them soon, like the carver's name, type of wood, etc., and will add to the post when I do.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2013-07-22 23:43 ]

Excellent!
The ancient Hawaiian culture reviving the use of Tiki!

Mahalo 4W!

I found out from Phillip Roberts that it's a whole ancient village that will be fully restored: http://www.khon2.com/2013/07/19/ancient-hawaiian-village-discovered-on-kauai/

So awesome.

No doubt those were hand carved... Thousands of tool marks!

Must have taken quite a bit of time to carve those.

Great news indeed: Contemporary Tikis being used as the proud symbols of indigenous culture. Cool.

Aloha Sven,

On 2013-07-22 05:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great news indeed: Contemporary Tikis being used as the proud symbols of indigenous culture. Cool.

In My opinion, these are Contemporary "Ki'i."

Ritual and prayers were conducted previous to their installation, according to my informants... (No human sacrifice, since this is not a Luakini heiau.) I do find them exciting and pleasing.

These carvings are icons being restored to a cultural site as opposed to being decorative "Tiki" being applied to a commercial venue. It's the same reason I consider the statues at the City of Refuge not "Tiki" but "Ki'i."

Phillip, my wife told me the same thing, but without the explanation. :wink:
I'm editing my thread title to reflect this, thanks.

I was just in Kauai (Poipu) about a month ago, and wish I'd have heard to this back then, it would have been exciting to see.

I followed the link from Khon4 to the group behind the restoration of the project, and there's a great website http://www.kaneiolouma.org describing the cultural site & the vision for the restoration.

It's one of a kind find in Hawaii that hasn't previously been destroyed by man, and dates to the mid-1400s It'll eventually have an interpretive centre,a fully restored fishpond, taro field, and traditional island house.

According to the site, they refer to the 4 statues as Ki'i, and were made by a master carver from the big island of ohia: "the Ki’i wooden ceremonial statues .... These hand-carved 16 foot tall Ki’i are the Hawaiian gods Kâne (the god of the sky and creation), Kû (the god of war and male pursuits), Lono (the god of peace, rain, and fertility) and Kanaloa (the god of the ocean). The statues represent the four corners of Honua, the pillars in ancient Hawaiian astrology"

I think I mention the various true indigenous names (Ki'i, Ti'i, Moai) in the Book of Tiki, and I thought about using the correct term, but then I decided I didn't want to be too hoity toity here.

But I think you're right: New carvings erected for traditional purposes should be called their true name, even here on Tiki Central.

I have always maintained that the cultural ignorance of the past is humorous, but something not to be repeated in this day and age. Modern Tiki admiration comes from a love for the ironic, and appreciates the fakery of the American mid-century Tiki temples. It should never be mistaken with what it was inspired by.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-23 19:13 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies