Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Joe Pimental Island GIrl portrait

Pages: 1 4 replies

Over twenty five years ago I went to the Don the Beachcomber's Marina Del Rey auction when the place closed (anyone know the exact date?). I bought a truckload of stuff, more on that later. In the back office was this lovely oil painting (on hardboard) of an Island Beauty. I recently removed it from the original frame and discovered this signature. A brief google search didn't reveal much. I found one page on Joe Pimental Hawaii Nostalgia (included below). Does anyone have any info or images about this artist?

Definitely start a thread showing all the items you bought at the auction.

HT

Agreed! Holy hell! Way to keep that under wraps!

Copied from this website:
http://archives.starbulletin.com/1999/12/27/news/story2.html

"A saimin drive-in
Hawaii nostalgia artist Joe Pimental, 83, was born in Kahuku but grew up in Pauoa and Punchbowl.
"Spending summers at swimming and playing in Nuuanu Stream and Kapena Falls were the highlights of my young life," Pimental said.
"I also remember a drive-in for saimin where all the waitresses were dressed in kimonos. The place was lit up with lanterns. They would put a board, about 7 feet long, across the car like a table."
Misses that old banyan
Lorretta M. Sato, 83, grew up in Pawaa between what is now Kaheka and Sheridan streets.
"We used to play on Keeaumoku Street near the agriculture station," Sato said. "I used to swing from the banyan tree that was on the corner. I was so sad when they cut the banyan tree down."
Sato says another treat was shopping for new shoes once a year.
"Nuuanu street (mauka) of King Street was where all the shoe shops were," she said. "On Christmas Eve my parents took us there to buy shoes for our present."

Artist Joe Pimental's painting of the drive-in saimin
stand he recalls from his childhood."

I think he also has a famous painting of old Honolulu Stadium.

Thanks for that! Any other images or info on this artist is appreciated. I will start a thread about the Beachcomber haul in a day or two, I am putting together photos, I still have most of it. Some large pieces, photos, ephemera and newspaper clippings...

Pages: 1 4 replies