Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

1975 Mai Kai Calendars

Pages: 1 2 replies

I

A few of us who were at Hukilau were able to purchase an old vintage Mai-Kai calendar - each month features a different Mai-Kai wahini posing somewhere on the grounds of the Mai Kai.

I only bought the 1975 version of the calendar, and have only just discovered that the dates in 1975 line up exactly as they do in 2003! (July 4th is on a Friday, there is no Feb 29th, etc.) This means I can use the 1975 Mai Kai calendar as my current desktop calendar! There is nothing quite like being able to recirculate an old vintage item into current everyday use.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2003-07-09 06:21 ]

I

I have the July page of the 1975 calendar sitting in front of me - a closer look shows that the model for July is no other than Mireille Thornton - wife of Mai-Kai founder Bob Thornton. Mireille is still alive, and was with us at the Mai Kai Hukilau, looking even more beautiful than she did back in 1975.

Vern

I am so glad we scored those! Bre-elle got so many of them and then told me to scurry on into the gift shop and get a couple. I love it but I really thought they were larger from the pics I had seen of them in magazines, etc.

We bought so much in the gift shop that weekend - I actually just called them about 30 minutes ago to buy one of the Mai Kai license plates - they're only $5.

Pages: 1 2 replies