Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

What's your favorite tiki album ?

Pages: 1 13 replies

My favorite is Bongoland from the Ultra Lounge followed by Martin Dennys Quite Village. What's yours ?

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2003 12:30 PM

1.Eden Ahbez- "Eden's Island". 2.Les Baxter- "The Sacred Idol". 3.Martin Denny- "Exotica" 4.Michel Magne- "Tropical Fantasy"

KK

"Voodoo" by Robert Draisnin, followed by Eden Ahbez' "Eden's Island", the hands- down champ for scariest album cover not by Aphex Twin. And let's not overlook the amazing APE from San Francisco- rumored to have a full length CD in the final stages of production. I'm Pau.

T

http://www.bounce.com/review/recommend.php/668/?K=%C2%BC%C8%F8%C2%D9%CF%BA

My brother (who lives in Tokyo) got me this brilliant CD called Frozen Hawaii... it is on heavy rotation at the saucer house!
If you like ambient funkiness and hawaiian good times, the sound of surf mixed with cool samples, you MUST try to get this CD! Don't know if there is any way to order it outside Japan though...

KK

and Jezus Christ, Dave! Over 900 posts! What a monster.

Polynesia! Hands down. This record is truly amazing. It's pictured in the BOT. You can usually find it on ebay for about $7 and I can guarantee you it's one of the best.
Here's the amazing cover:

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-09 15:28 ]

while i wouldn't label it a "tiki album" by any stretch, "the best of annette" is always a fun listen (especially "pineapple princess"). i also really dig the first tipsy record (trip-tease). and then there are the standards... the first arthur lyman, martin denny... the ultra-lounge comps...

ok, i obviously cannot choose. will stop rambling now.

I guess it all depends on what you are refering to as "Tiki" Albums.

I mean, I love the many Webley Edwards 'Hawaii Calls' albums.
And although these are Hawaiian / Polynesian sounds, they can be considered very "Tiki" simply by their covers.

Or are we talking about what is refered to as "Exotica", which would include the selections mentioned?

One of my first and favorites was Lawrence Welk and the "Sounds of the Islands" LP. Poor cover, but great tunes.

E

Sons Of Hawaii "Songs of Old Hawaii" - old Gabby album.

aloha, emspace.

Assuming Album can be a CD, too:

Mine is Eden's Island

I also enjoy Mondo Exotica for the variety.

Yeah, I got Mondo Exotica after Hanford recommended it a while back. Has all the Tiki greats and is an ideal party album. The liner notes were somewhat dubious, though - Trader Vic is described as being an old fraud, if I recall.

Arthur Lyman's Taboo album was the first exotica album I bought, but still, perhaps the best.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-07-10 14:00 ]

T

Billy Mure's Hawaiian Percussion is my favorite. Exotica meets space age bachelor pad pop.

I agree about the Billy Mure record. That's one of my other favorites!

Pages: 1 13 replies