Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trivia Question to win 2 tix to Surf Guitar 101 convention

Pages: 1 8 replies

See this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45370&forum=17&25

Then, see if you can tell me how all of the bands playing are related to Tiki.
Some are very easy. Some very thin connection.
But it's there.

Oh, just the name of the Glasgow Tiki Shakers Isn't there connection.

I'm sure John O will get this, or most if them,
But I hope others try.

Please post answers here.

Jeff btd

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2013-08-06 07:13 ]

T

For me its more "hearing" than "seeing" what they have in common to tiki, as "tiki" is a wide range. For one, the music evokes a sense of taking a wave with full aggression, then coming into the shore to chill for the rest of the day with a nice cold drink in hand watching as the sunset fades into night. Also, the love of surf music is not only localized to the Southern California area, but it is worldwide. I think that is what its all about, the ability to have different cultures/lifestyles come together in celebration of having a good time with something you enjoy.

"The El Caminos" are from Japan but have a Spanish name. That's so tiki! Plus, they play a version of Caravan.

"Martin Cilia" is from the band "The Atlantics" who played a cover of "Adverntures in Paradise" from the ol' tv show that the lead wore a tiki pendant that matched/represented his boat. Big time tiki!

"Surfer Joe" has played at Tiki Oasis in the past and is also slated to play for the one coming up next week.

"3 Balls of Fire" well, Texas and fire is hot, and so is tiki.

"The Aqualads" and "The Mystery Men" both played at the Rockabilly Luau.

"The Glasgow Tiki Shakers" have played at Don the Beachcomber and Mojave Oasis.

"The Pyronauts" from Norcal I'm guessing have played at Forbidden Island. They also play a song called "Cal-Tiki""Outerwave" has played at Don the Beachcomber and Tiki Caliente 4.

Good guesses Chris.
Some of them correct,
Some of them I didn't know or didn't think of.
But some wrong. Like The El Caminos especially.

Since yer already on the guest list,
Lets see if anybody else can get some.

Jeff btd

T

Can I answer again in the form of a question then?

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2013 2:42 PM
  1. 3 Balls of Fire - They play a version of "Bali Hai" that they call "Bali High School" (I think).

2. El Caminos - I left their CD in my car (which I'm too lazy to go outside to retrieve, and compare song titles) but here is a bit of interesting trivia. They have a female Japanese surf bass player. And who is the only other female Japanese surf bass player in the world ? It's Joyce from the Glasgow TIKI Shakers. That's the Tiki connection !! Plus they'll both be at the Starting Gate this Sat.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-08-07 14:46 ]

Number 1 is right.

No on el Caminos

T

see if you can tell me how all of the bands playing are related to Tiki

They all know the BTD! Thats tiki enough :)

(im really trying for free tickets, please)

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-08-09 08:34 ]

Sorry Esp,
Brown nosing doesn't work with me.
Hope you can come to the show.
Going to bed now.
I'll post answers on Monday.

Pages: 1 8 replies