Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Cocktail with White Grape Juice?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Has anybody every heard of of a tiki cocktail that uses white grape juice? My mother told me that there was a tiki bar in Portland in the 1960's(not TV's) that served a popular cocktail that had white grape juice as an ingredient. I've looked around to see if I can find it, but I haven't had any luck. Does anybody have any idea as to what it could be? Thank you.

I will ask an obvious question first. . . Is she sure she meant white grape juice and not white grapefruit juice? Just want to make sure.

As for grape juice in a Tiki drink, I can think of the Polynesian Spell in Grog Log that I think was a drink at Kahiki. It is a gin cocktail calling for grape juice but it does not specify red or white.

Wasn't there another version of the Test Pilot that called for grape juice and 151? Or am I crazy?

Well done! Yep, sure enough, there is a Test Pilot version in Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine by Don the Beachcomber that calls for grape juice and 151. Again, there is no specification for white grape juice.

Hurricane Hayward included this recipe on the Atomic Grog's Jet Pilot tribute page and now that you jogged my memory I recall coming across the recipe a few months ago and bemoaning not being able to try it because I didn't have any grape juice.

Thanks for the response! I talked to Mom today and she's pretty sure that's it's white grape juice, not grapefruit juice. Do you think that the Polynesian Spell might be what I'm looking for?

Possibly. I assume Kahiki would have had some imitators, or possibly the Kahiki drink was based on something from the establishment your mom visited.

Good luck with the search, and if I run actoss any more suspects I will post them.

Polynesian Spell
1 oz grape juice
¾ oz fresh lemon juice
¼ oz triple sec
¼ oz peach brandy
½ tsp sugar syrup
1 ½ oz dry gin
Shake well with ice cubes. Strain into a champagne glass.

Orignal drink by Sandro Conti of the Kahiki, Columbus, Ohio, circa 1961. Adapted from Jeff Berry & Annene Kaye, Beachbum Berry’s Grog Log. (San Jose: SLG Publishing, 1998) p. 65. Reproduced under license. From Beachbum Berry's Tiki+ for iPhone.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-20 08:53 ]

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I'm going to make a trip to the liquor store and give the Polynesian Spell a whirl.

I mis-read the Polynesian Spell recipe above and made it with concord grape juice instead of white. it was pretty good, although it mostly tasted like a spiked glass of wine!

H

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2013-09-19 20:50 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies