Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Quiet Village Sheet Music

Pages: 1 18 replies

M

Hi gang-

I'm looking for sheet music for Quiet Village, preferably with the piano part accurately transcribed, and not just a fake book arrangement. Does anyone have it? It may look like:

or

It doesn't appear to be in print anymore, so if anyone has it, I'd gladly pay you in Puka Punch for a copy.

Many thanks!

I just checked this on eBay and found a few, but they're all fake books.

Someone who is a good pianist (not me!) could probably listen to a recording and transcribe it -- it's not a complicated piece.

M

Thanks for the heads up on that- I went ahead and picked it up. Looks mighty fine.

Mahalo.

M

wHICH ONE DO YOU WANT? YMCA? IN tHE Navy? Macho man?

....oh -I thought you want Village People Sheet Music!

T

No, he wanted Quiet Riot sheet Music!

I believe the Thurston Howlies could get you a copy of the Martin Denny version roughly transcribed from the CD... but maybe you are looking for the decorative cover as well?

If anyone has Quiet Village or any other exotica transcribed for guitar, I would love to get a hold of that. We're trying to do some of that stuff in the 'Smokin Menehunes' and I'm to busy to sit down and figure it out for myself.

The late, great Danny Gatton did an awesome version of QV on his 88 Elmira Street album and there's a great note-for-note transcription book of the whole album available.

I just oredered it, thanks.

M

On 2003-07-11 14:59, Cherry Capri wrote:
I believe the Thurston Howlies could get you a copy of the Martin Denny version roughly transcribed from the CD... but maybe you are looking for the decorative cover as well?

Thanks for the offer- the decorative one is on it's way, but depending on how it's transcribed, I may take you up on that.

Thanks!

I was walking past a sheet music store yesterday, purely by chance, and I remembered this thread.

I went in and asked the two old-timers inside if they had "Quiet Village by Leslie Baxter as recorded by Martin Denny".

They said it is still in print, and they would order it for me.

However, they can't just order one piece from the publisher, they have to order a bunch of music at one time. Since the publisher is a small one, they siad it might take weeks or months before they get it. They have to accrue enough requests for material from this publisher to make an order worth their while.

I told them that if they wanted to order a half dozen copies of QV, that I could 'probably' pass them on to friends. That might expedite the order.

So stay tuned - let's see what this oldster comes up with for me.

Oh, BTW, he told me that he was 'pretty sure that there was a whole album of music like this at one point'! I replied that I thought 'there might have been several'. :)

I would like a copy. I picked up the starting chords watching Sven's tape which has Martin Denny beginning the number while being interviewed.

T

Those old timers never got back to me.

But I did find a book of sheet music called "Favorite Hawaiian Songs", published by Hal Leonard for $9.95.

It contains the seldom-heard vocal version of QV. This is fairly different from the familiar Denny arrangement (which is the version hat we've all head done by so many other artists), but it's a starting point...

Also, for you Uke fans, there's a guy called Jumpin' Jim who has issued at least six books of Uke sheet music.

The one called "Jumpin' Jim's Gone Hawaiian" (Jim Beloff) contains sheet music (for ukulele) for about 30 classic Hapa Haole tunes, as well as QV. It's a nice book, with historical information about the guys who wrote the tunes, nice vintage graphics, and at the very least, you get lyrics for "Hukilau Song","Little Grass Shack","Aloha Oe","Lovely Hula Hands", and all the rest.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-10-15 09:22 ]

Martiki, I have the Les Baxter one in the first picture. Not sure what is inside, but I can dig it out and send you a copy. Email me.

martiki,
I totally forgot about this thread. I'm betting that this tablature would make some big money on Ebay. Bring it to the Hooptylau so that we may "touch it".

M

whoa. I almost never come here, but I was just digging out that music the other day. Can't bring it Unga- sorry. Too many drunks.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:56 ]

M

Nope I've got it! Thanks, though!

Pages: 1 18 replies