Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

podcasting music and not getting sued?

Pages: 1 3 replies

Ok, I'll apologize in advance. I know this isn't a tech site, but several members of the Tiki Central community create fantastic podcasts and they have directly inspired me to create my own, which I have. I figure if anyone can give me advice, it is someone on these boards. Technically the podcast is solid. I have the RSS feed and everything. It was, however, rejected by Itunes. One of the "possible" reasons is copyright infringement. So I've been exploring this and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out how so many podcasters feature music without being sued, banned or rejected? Is it an ASCAP license, doesn't it fall under "fair use"? I just can't figure out what the secret is. Everything I read regarding podcasts and copyright laws indicate that there is no way, short of getting permission from the artist/producer of each track, to legally publish a podcast with music........but it's done all the time. I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing that most of the podcasts I listen to are doing, playing music and talking about the artist, the album, etc. I'm not trying to take a short cut by sponging off other people's hard earned knowledge, I just need a nudge in the right direction. I am looking forward to joining the amazing community of podcast creators ......but there's just this last big hurdle to get past.

Mahalo!!

Check these folks out, they can probably answer your questions about copyright and fair use;

http://www.newmediarights.org/

Thanks Bruddah! Some great info there.

Mahalo!

Glad I could help.

Pages: 1 3 replies